trouble connecting my laptop to the wireless internet connection we have in our house

tmcksmith

okay, so here's the situation. i have a laptop. a few months ago our house got wireless internet. i got a wireless card for my laptop, and everything worked perfectly. then, my hard-drive went nuts and i had to buy a new one. windows is loaded on my new hard drive, but i can't connect to the internet. under 'network connections' the only thing listed is 'Local Area Connection'. that's it. no 'wireless connection' like there used to be. what's going on here? can anyone help? thanks.

4W4K3

VIP Member
if im not mistaken you have to set up a wireless connection. it's not just going to appear when you install windows. and depending on what wireless card you have, you might need drivers/firmware before it will work.

tmcksmith

the software has been installed...and re-installed, and an icon appears at the bottom (not the normal windows 'network/internet' icon) it's a big blue square (i have a linksys wireless b card - it's their software) . but it says i cannot establish a relationship between my computer and the router can't establish a connection.

Super_Nova

go into device manager and see if you got a yellow "!" next to an unknown device or any device really. If so you need to load the driver to your wireless network adapter.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
but it says I cannot establish a relationship between my computer and the router can't establish a connection.
Are there security settings on the wap/w-router?

RiseandTakeOver

attach to ethernet cable from the router, go into an explorer of some type (IE, Mozilla.... I don't recommend IE tho cause for me it just comes up saying "can't find this website" but in mozilla or firefox it works fine) then type in 192.168.1.1 (for the linksys routers).. type in admin/admin.. in their you can see the security options and everything