Trouble playing games on Acer Travelmate

binj112

I have just recently bought a laptop and was playing a game. After around twenty mins of playing the computer randomly restarted. It does this for every game I try to play. My specs are:

Intel Pentium M 1.6GHz
512 Mb DDR2
80 GB HDD
Nvidia Geforce Go 6600 64Mb

The model is Travelmate 4650. Can anyone tell me how I can stop this from happening? Cheers

Ben

binj112

iv tried playing GTA:San Andreas and KOTOR. They both run excellent and run smoothly. But on both games it happens.

Hairy_Lee

VIP Member
then my guess would be an overheating problem, try and run prime95 and see if it still happens, also try running a graphic benchmark to see if it happens.

you'll also need to try and have a look at your temps

binj112

tried both of your ideas and the laptop never crashed. Im really stuck now. I emailed Acer about the problem so hopefully they would get back to me? Any other ideas people?

Hairy_Lee

VIP Member
ok, try and drop the hardware accelleration of your soundcard down to basic in the dxdiag program.

i used to get a problem like this when i had the sims 2 running with full accelleration

Hairy_Lee

VIP Member
if you can try some other games. also, try and get all of the latest drivers for you system.

you might wanna try seeing if there are any patches for the games you are playing, i know that there is a san andreas patch cos it solved a lot of problems for me.

ckfordy

banned
Hairy_Lee said:
then my guess would be an overheating problem, try and run prime95 and see if it still happens, also try running a graphic benchmark to see if it happens.

you'll also need to try and have a look at your temps

what is prime 95 and where can i get it

shupola

binj112 said:
I have just recently bought a laptop and was playing a game. After around twenty mins of playing the computer randomly restarted. It does this for every game I try to play. My specs are:

Intel Pentium M 1.6GHz
512 Mb DDR2
80 GB HDD
Nvidia Geforce Go 6600 64Mb

The model is Travelmate 4650. Can anyone tell me how I can stop this from happening? Cheers

Ben

i had this problem with my laptop. i got one of those cooling pads to go under mine, but that wont work if you carry it around a lot, but works great on a desk.

it might not be a cooling problem though, but this seemed to solve my problem so it might work for you. i also blew out my fan with compressed air, but since yours seems fairly new, i dont think it would be that dirty.

binj112

Oh rite, cool. I mite get one of them cooling pads then. Games still wont last long on my computer. Its getting really annoying, at uni and getting bored hen everyone esle has lectures! Ah well. Any other input about the problem would be greatly apprefciated and has it happened to anyone else?

alanuofm

VIP Member
a laptop with a geforce go 6600 should not need a cooling pad to prevent it from crashing. its like having a ferrari with a governor set at 60 mph. try monitoring the temperatur while playing the game. then post back the temps. sometimes laptops can have faulty heat sinks. if its still under warranty then it would be best if you sent it in.

binj112

update: I have succesfully played Farcry for around 30min without crashes. So thats one game I can play on this thing. Not a big fan of the game though but at least I wont be as bored as I as! Gonna try a few others so Ill keep you posted.

Cheers for everyone who tried to help me!