trouble restoring back up to new hard drive

killerchef04

i had raid 0 set up on two hard drives, i wanted to go back to just one. i have an external hard drive that i use to back up to. so i took out one hard drive re installed the os and restored the back up, after it finished it said some files couldn't be restored in the same location. i had all the icons on my desktop but none of the programs were installed. when i clicked on a icon it would say path invalid or something. what is going on and how can i restore everything back to the original folders?

spirit

Staff member
Yeah it didn't work because when you made the back up you were still using the RAID-0 stripe weren't you, and striping works by having splitting information between two drives, but if one drive is removed then the information on the other is unusable. You've basically tried to put everything that was on your striped drives onto a single drive, and it's now missing half of the information, so it's not working.

You'll have to reformat and reinstall completely I think. :/

killerchef04

Yeah it didn't work because when you made the back up you were still using the RAID-0 stripe weren't you, and striping works by having splitting information between two drives, but if one drive is removed then the information on the other is unusable. You've basically tried to put everything that was on your striped drives onto a single drive, and it's now missing half of the information, so it's not working.

You'll have to reformat and reinstall completely I think. :/

I did reformat, my brother is having the same problem. His laptop was acting funny so he backed everything up recovered it to factory settings restored everything and the same thing happened.

spirit

Staff member
You need to completely format and start again, sadly your backup is now useless for the reasons I mentioned in my first post - half the information is now missing as it was stored on the other drive which has now been removed. You did create the backup when you were still using the stripe weren't you?

killerchef04

You need to completely format and start again, sadly your backup is now useless for the reasons I mentioned in my first post - half the information is now missing as it was stored on the other drive which has now been removed. You did create the backup when you were still using the stripe weren't you?

yes i created the back up with both hard drives still in raid 0

spirit

Staff member
yes i created the back up with both hard drives still in raid 0

Yes that explains why it's not working, it's missing half of the information as RAID-0 splits the data between the two disks, and when one is removed or damaged, the information on the other is unusable.

You're gonna have to forget about that backup and just install Windows on the single drive and just use that. :(

killerchef04

Yes that explains why it's not working, it's missing half of the information as RAID-0 splits the data between the two disks, and when one is removed or damaged, the information on the other is unusable.

You're gonna have to forget about that backup and just install Windows on the single drive and just use that. :(

i just put both hard drives back in and put them on raid 0 and its doing the same thing.