trouble shooting my new pc please help

ledman55555

New Member
I just bought a brand new Asus P5G41-M motherboard and Dual Core E5200 Processor, as well as a 2 gig PNY PC6400 DDR2 memory stick. The other parts in the computer, such as hard drive, graphics card and power supply are parts that I have used before and never had any issues with.

Since buying the new motherboard, cpu and memory, I've been running into some issues with booting up. I was able to get into windows one time, but it froze. When I restarted I was unable to get into windows again. It's being very inconsistent, sometimes it won't boot at all, sometimes it will but freezes in the boot screen and says "Initializing USB Drives.." and just stays stuck there.

I'm wondering if it's a compatibility issue between the motherboard and memory. When I take out the memory and boot, it consistently gives me the 3 beep warning. Every time no question. But the minute I put in the memory, that's when it begins to give me problems. In the Asus manual it does not show that type of memory in the compatibility list. Any suggestions?
 
If you have Windows XP you'd have to format your PC and install the whole Windows all over again. Win XP (nor other versions of Windows) doesn't like hardware changes - it just acts weird. It switches off, restarts, freezes etc.
 
I agree with Analizer. It doesn't sound like this is a hardware issue. It likely is a software issue. First I would copy all the data you value off the hard drive to a separate storage device. Then get a Windows installation disk, format the hard drive and reinstall Windows.
 
The operating system has nothing to do with this issue, it is freezing up as soon as I press the on button, in the initial boot screen, I can't even get into bios because it freezes. The VERY first screen when you boot up, where it shows what hardware you have, right before it calculates the memory. I'm not trying to get into windows, I'm just trying to get in bios, and it freezes before that.

This seems like a hardware compatibility issue between the motherboard and the memory, because it's locking up before I can get into bios. It shouldn't be anything else because I know the other parts in there are fine, since like I said I've used them before.
 
Disconnect any extra hardware not needed at bootup inluding the hard drive. See if it boots up correctly. Try different memory.
 
hmm

yes, i have everything disconnected. the computer beeps, then freezes at the FIRST BOOT screen where it gives u all your hardware specs. I cant even get into bios because its just stuck on stupid. From my experience with pc's. Im leaning towards the memory is either messed up, or the memory has a compatibility problem with this board
 
Try different memory first and then if it still does it you have a bad motherboard. You may also try resetting the cmos by removing the power from the PSU, removing the cmos battery, push the power button on the front of the case a few times to dishcharge the motherboard, then wait a minute and then put the battery back in, reconnect power to psu and try booting up.
 
That PNY memory isn't even listed on their memory support list, that could be why. I highly suggest getting some corsair memory, I've never had any problems with corsair on Asus boards.
 
hmm

that or ocz memory. yea thats what i was worried about too. i didnt see this pny memory listed on there list either.

OK i just did what u told me to do, I was able to boot up, I instantly went into bios and about 3 seconds into bios it locked up completely. then it wouldnt boot back up..
 
hmm

lol. more like now i gotta buy different memory and spend more money. i hope after i do that i dont have to end up sending back this motherboard too.lol....i bought this pny and mobo/cpu combo from tiger direct...
 
Call TigerDirect and get a return merchandise authorization on any parts you think are defective. I have heard that Asus motherboards can be picky with different types of memory.

This is one reason I prefer Gigabyte brand motherboards over Asus.
 
hmm

thanks guys for all the help... i just came back from frys electronics and bought some corsair memory. pc works like a charm.... so i guess this pny memory is either messed up, or in compatible.. either way im never buying pny again lol...

thanks again!!!



ps, dont get pny memory with this motherboard.....
 
hmm

by the way, tiger direct said no worries, gave me my rma number right over the phone, no questions asked...so tiger direct moved up a notch in my book :)
 
I always try to stay with corsair, I've never had any problems with them. I'm glad its working for you now.
 
PNY Technologies doesn't make bad quality random access memory. That particular model just doesn't work with your Asus motherboard. I would stick with memory the Asus manufacturer tests and recommends though.

Glad to hear you got your hardware working.
 
Back
Top