trouble with compaq presario sr1000...help!

fulhamsteve

Hey everyone, I'd really appreciate it if you guys could shed some light on an issue I've been having with my old Compaq desktop. It's a compaq presario running windows xp- I am aware of the issues with using xp online but my aim is to use this computer as a music recording device so I won't need to use the internet outside of the initial downloading DAWs and VSTs etc. Anyway this computer hadnt been used for the best part of 5 years and was still on sp2, so upon startup and deleting some old unused games and software, I tried updating to service pack 3. Turns out this was a big mistake as my computer will not boot now. The last thing it did was tell me to restart so it could finalise the update but now all I get is a black screen, with no prompts. I can hear it spooling up and stuff, but it seems to be caught in a boot loop and I never get any of the usual prompts on screen.

So far i have tried with no success:
- entering safe mode.
- entering bios.
- removing and replacing the cmos battery.
- checking different wires and to make sure the lead wasn't faulty.

I can see on the hard drive (ATA/IDE) there are two leads connected, and space for another next to them. The space has 4 pins there, and i think i can see a lead which would go on it. could this be the issue?

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Wipe it and start over from scratch. You'll have a much better result.

beers

Staff member
I can see on the hard drive (ATA/IDE) there are two leads connected, and space for another next to them. The space has 4 pins there, and i think i can see a lead which would go on it. could this be the issue?

Probably not, for IDE there's the power (molex), data (IDE ribbon cable), and a space for jumpers to define master/slave channeling. If the HDD's been working up to this point it sounds like a different issue.

Also per the above I'd definitely wipe it, but you could run a few hard drive scans like Seatools to verify the hardware too.

fulhamsteve

am i correct in thinking this sounds more like a software problem right? it seems to have been set off by the sp3 update, am i right in assuming that?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Could be either software or hardware. Do you have access to the XP install cd? You can try this.

Start with step B on this page. You would basically be doing a system restore using the recovery console.

http://www.myfixes.com/articles/system

I would actually check to make sure the drive is healthy though by running a diagnostic on it. What brand of drive do you have?

MyCattMaxx

Check if you have anything like mem sticks, camera card etc plugged into a USB jack.
If so unplug them.
Usual indicator will be a black screen with a flashing dash in the upper left corner if I remember right.

Edit to add: If it is really old put a new BIOS battery into it. If the battery is really dead it can scramble the BIOS causing what you are talking about (no access to BIOS).
I have repaired several dead computers over the years that others have looked at that were cured with a new battery.
And since you said it hasn't been used in 5 years replace it because it is bad.

Last edited:

MyCattMaxx

If the 'BIOS was scrambled' you would have to reflash the eeprom for it to work.
When the BIOS isn't powered by a min voltage it isn't stabilized and when you turn on the comp it gets the required voltage but isn't ready for the I/O requests it is now getting.
In essence it is scrambled, but in most cases a new battery fixes the problem.
I'll send you a PM with some proof since I don't want the link out in the open.

Okedokey

Boot from Windows DVD (any will do) and repair start up. Go to advanced and command prompt and type in succession

bootrec.exe /fixmbr
bootrec.exe /fixboot
bootrec.exe /scannos

follow any prompts. Restart.