Trouble with Discord App

Gossinater

So some of my gaming buds use Discord instead of Teamspeak, I've began using it in the web browser (Firefox) but every time I connect to their channel, I can neither speak nor be heard. It's like my computer isn't allowing Discord to use my hardware. My mic is picking up my voice but not transmitting, nor receiving their sound.

On occasion I've gotten it to work (I'm not sure how) but during my next gaming session it fails again.

There are times where Discord sounds works, however my game produces no sound. I have a Logitech G930 headset and it is in good condition (no issues other than this one)

I think my issue is when I open Discord somehow it throws my computer off and shuts down my Audio Service Manager. (computer thinks I have no headset connected and puts a red X over volume control indicating I have no playback device)

ALSO, I tried DLing the actual app instead of using it in a web browser, but I continually get an error code when installing Discord App.

ANY AND ALL TIPS APPRECIATED! Thanks

Agent Smith

I've used Discord once before and it was a horrid mess and a huge resource hog. I'm sure their App is no better. You're better off using Teamspeak. It's also really easy to create your own server, but I would change the default port. If you go this route I can tell you how to do that. It's just a simple ini file that needs editing, but you have to produce it. The old methoud required SSHing into the server. What a pain in the ass that all was.

Get your friends to use Teamspeak. Why use that horrid other software that almost looks like Disconnect instead of Discord is beyond me.

Intel_man

VIP Member
Get your friends to use Teamspeak. Why use that horrid other software that almost looks like Disconnect instead of Discord is beyond me.
Because hosting a server on TS costs money? Discord is fine for the majority of people apart from it's privacy policies.

Personally, I prefer Teamspeak's voice quality and it's ability to customize a bunch of things when it comes to server rules and permissions, but Discord has a better overall chat/channel layout. Honestly, I use both and like things from both products.

beers

Staff member
I always thought the browser side was more finnicky than the actual app, have you tried that?

I was referring from home. I hosted a TS server from a netbook! And you can rent a TS voice server for a few bucks a month.
I see what you're going for but it takes literally seconds to create a discord channel.