troubles with orinoco WiFi card.

Mike1605

First of all, specs on the gear.

WaveLAN gold flavor of the orinoco card W/ V8:72
HP laptop
windows xp pro.

So about a month ago i decide to start taking my laptop to my girlfriends house so i can try to get a little work done while im there. I get there, take out the laptop put the card in and boot it up. everything loads up fast and as soon as the status light starts up on the card everything freezes for about 45 seconds. Then i go down to the wireless networks, select hers, put in the WEP and as soon as the status light on the WiFi card lights up it freezes for another 45 seconds. still not connected. i played with settings and did everything i could think of but whenever it came down to it and i would try to connect, it would freeze then nothing would happen. OK, annoying but not getting work done at the girls house inst the end of the world.

about 2 weeks later im at home on my network which i have been using for 3+ years now. take out the laptop, put the card in and boot it up. same thing it was doing at my girls house. it stopped automatically connecting (like it is configured to do) and when you choose the network and put the WEP in, it freezes then dosnt connect.

now keep in mind. the 2 weeks between the first time at my girlfriends house and now at my house it was working flawlessly. so it wasn't like i busted the card and it completely stopped working.

So far i have reinstalled ALL drivers from my windows disk. reinstalled the Orinoco drivers about 4 times. went through all the settings that i could think of but its still just freezing.

I also took out an Old Cisco card and it did the same thing. just froze up whenever the status light on the card would come up.

Anyone have any insight on what i may be able to do or try?

Buy-it PC

Trouble with network...

First of all, specs on the gear.

WaveLAN gold flavor of the orinoco card W/ V8:72
HP laptop
windows xp pro.

So about a month ago i decide to start taking my laptop to my girlfriends house so i can try to get a little work done while im there. I get there, take out the laptop put the card in and boot it up. everything loads up fast and as soon as the status light starts up on the card everything freezes for about 45 seconds. Then i go down to the wireless networks, select hers, put in the WEP and as soon as the status light on the WiFi card lights up it freezes for another 45 seconds. still not connected. i played with settings and did everything i could think of but whenever it came down to it and i would try to connect, it would freeze then nothing would happen. OK, annoying but not getting work done at the girls house inst the end of the world.

about 2 weeks later im at home on my network which i have been using for 3+ years now. take out the laptop, put the card in and boot it up. same thing it was doing at my girls house. it stopped automatically connecting (like it is configured to do) and when you choose the network and put the WEP in, it freezes then dosnt connect.

now keep in mind. the 2 weeks between the first time at my girlfriends house and now at my house it was working flawlessly. so it wasn't like i busted the card and it completely stopped working.

So far i have reinstalled ALL drivers from my windows disk. reinstalled the Orinoco drivers about 4 times. went through all the settings that i could think of but its still just freezing.

I also took out an Old Cisco card and it did the same thing. just froze up whenever the status light on the card would come up.

Anyone have any insight on what i may be able to do or try?

Hi Mike-

Has your girlfriend have a notebook? If she has... try the card in that system to determine if for certain it is the card/adapter. However, another idea could be your notebook itself... try the adapter in another system first if you can to check to see if the adapter is bad. Chances are I feel that it isn't that!

Good luck!

Mike1605

I will see what i can do. since i tried the Cisco card as well i kind of narrowed the card being bad out of my mind.

Mike1605

No i have not tried my card in another notebook i tried using a cisco card in my notebook and it did the same freezing cycle. i guess i just figured it couldn't be a problem with the card if 2 different cards are doing the same thing.

Buy-it PC

I will see what i can do. since i tried the Cisco card as well i kind of narrowed the card being bad out of my mind.
Ok, so you already tried that route... and the card probably works fine?

My suggestion now, is to look at the computer itself. I have a funny inkling that Windows might be the issue here. First, if you have been doing updates from Microsoft's web site, chances are it could be an update patch, or something within Windows itself is corrupted and not allowing the LAN drivers to communicate... do you have the recovery DVD/CD disc?

Mike1605

well the XP pro, is uhh, yea. No Recovery for that. But i have the recovery from the XP home that came with the laptop. i even installed all the drivers off that and no luck.

when isn't windows the problem?

Buy-it PC

well the XP pro, is uhh, yea. No Recovery for that. But i have the recovery from the XP home that came with the laptop. i even installed all the drivers off that and no luck.

You mentioned that you had no problems before, until recently. The chances are, it might be from an updated patch from Microsoft. I myself experienced the same thing on my VISTA Home Prem version of my notebook which I'm currently using to talk with you... over a two weeks ago I did an updated patch and experienced a slowness of the OS and couldn't get past it. I did a system restore point, (which you could try) and then it only fixed it temporarily. But, the update kept coming, and it eventually corrupted Windows where I had no choice but to pull out the hard drive, back up my data, and restore my operating system back to factory settings...

But, I suppose you had upgraded your notebook from Home to Pro on XP. So, if you use the recovery CD you will be back at Home instead of XP. Try doing a restore point first, and see if that helps. If not, you'll have no other choice but to restore the notebook back to Home and then upgrade it back to XP Pro. Do you have the Pro CD?

Buy-it PC

You mentioned that you had no problems before, until recently. The chances are, it might be from an updated patch from Microsoft. I myself experienced the same thing on my VISTA Home Prem version of my notebook which I'm currently using to talk with you... over a two weeks ago I did an updated patch and experienced a slowness of the OS and couldn't get past it. I did a system restore point, (which you could try) and then it only fixed it temporarily. But, the update kept coming, and it eventually corrupted Windows where I had no choice but to pull out the hard drive, back up my data, and restore my operating system back to factory settings...

But, I suppose you had upgraded your notebook from Home to Pro on Pro. So, if you use the recovery CD you will be back at Home instead of XP. Try doing a restore point first, and see if that helps. If not, you'll have no other choice but to restore the notebook back to Home and then upgrade it back to XP Pro. Do you have the Pro CD?

Mike1605

Yes i do still have the pro CD. i actually just purchased an external HD so i may just throw EVERYTHING from the laptop on the external HD and completely wipe out windows and start from scratch. i think im going to just keep all my files on the external drive anyways. the laptop only has 70gigs on board anyways.

Buy-it PC

Hi Mike1605-

A smart choice, I strongly believe your windows is preventing you the issue of using the adapter(s). Backup everything, its good you have the external hard drive, and is probably best to keep the data on it anyways. There is also, an online backup to use too... but that's another story. Anyways, go ahead, back up your data, and use the recovery CD you have for Windows. Not only will you be starting Fresh and clean, but if other things were every giving you a problem before... not that I am saying it has... but if little issues did arrive, then the restore of XP will help.

Doing IT services for nearly 17+ years it's come from experiences, and knowledge of how to resolve issues like this. It may take a couple of hours to complete the task in general, after installing the OS again, and then all your applications. It's also a good idea after things are working again to do an image burn of your entire system. This way, all you have to do is restore that image burn back unto your notebook (or desktop) and everything is back, except for any data that might be missing. But, being that you intend to use the external anyways, will help you tremendously in this effort.

Also, important that you install at least three spyware applications and use FireFox or something else other than IE. I suggest: Spybot, Ad Aware and Microsoft's Defender, as spyware applications and run them almost religiously. It will safe you grief and headache in using your computer. Drop me a line if you have any further questions... and good luck!

Buy-it PC

Net card in trouble!

Hi Mike-

Smart idea, and you are doing the right thing. My suggestion is after you are done with the recovery, (which might take a couple of hours) install three spyware applications and use anything else other than IE as a browser.

I suggest: Ad Aware, Spybot, and Defnder. They're Free and easy to use! Do it daily if you can!

If you run into any further issues, let me know. Good Luck!:D

Mike1605

Forgot to mention. its not the time it takes to reinstall my programs and windows, its the time it takes for my ipod shit. i have about 45 gigs of music. so by the time the ipod copier rips them off the Ipod back on to the new install of windows thats like a day and a half right there...

Buy-it PC

Forgot to mention. its not the time it takes to reinstall my programs and windows, its the time it takes for my ipod shit. i have about 45 gigs of music. so by the time the ipod copier rips them off the Ipod back on to the new install of windows thats like a day and a half right there...
A valid point, thanks for telling me about the 45 GIG from the iPOD. Sorry about that.

Mike1605

hey buy-it, instead of just making a new thread i figured i would ask you in here real quick. im going to buy some new memory for my hp while im doing all these upgrades and reboots. i want 4 gigs. i have never upgraded memory on a laptop and cant find any specs on exactly what kind of memory my hp takes. its an HP Pavilion ZV6000. do you know if this will work? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227247

im trying to stay under 100 to 120 bucks. if you have any other suggestions i would appeciate it. thanks.

Mike1605

thanks. it came OEM with pc-2700 and everyone online makes it sound like thats all you can use. also a few people said it only supports up to 2 gigs and a few said up to 8 gigs. so contradictory.

Buy-it PC

thanks. it came OEM with pc-2700 and everyone online makes it sound like thats all you can use. also a few people said it only supports up to 2 gigs and a few said up to 8 gigs. so contradictory.
Ahhh.... question, let's do a through search from HP. Can you tell me more about the notebook. Like the model number or even the serial numer, it would be easier to confirm the right part and allow some compatibly.