Truthfully... how difficult is it to build a computer

memonkeyz

How difficult is it build a computer?

I have pretty close to no experience. I'd consider myself a fairly intelligent person, I just don't have the knowledge to do it at this time.

How much time would I have to invest in learning how to do it, and then actually doing it?

And how much money would it cost?

Thanks for your insight...

csi1189

If done correctly, it can be done for a little over $1,000. maybe closer to $2,000 if you get all top-of-the-line items such as liquid cooling, which is always a plus. I've personally never built a computer, but as long as you have an old one so you can see what you basically need, it shouldn't be that hard - the hardest part would be to do all the shopping for the individual parts..

The_Other_One

VIP Member
I built a pretty killer machine today(well, online) for around $1000 without a monitor, keyboard, mouse, or speakers. I really enjoy building them(hehe, yes, actually building them, but it's so much easier and cheaper to just do it online :p ) However, there's almost always some little problem with the setup that causes the whole thing to crash and burn... Me, I had major PSU compatability issues with my last build. That's why I'm just getting a dell though my work and upgrading the video card...

memonkeyz

Any thoughts on this set-up:

XPS 700 Pentium® D Processor 920 with Dual Core Technology (2.80GHz, 800FSB)
[222-2570]

Memory 2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz - 2 DIMMs

Monitor 20 inch UltraSharp™ 2007FPW Widescreen Digital Flat Panel

Video Cards 256MB nVidia GeForce 7900 GS

Hard Drive 320GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™

Operating System Microsoft® Windows® XP x64 Edition
[410-0792]

Optical Drive Single Drive: 16X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) w/double layer write capability

Sound Cards Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio

csi1189

you could pump up the processor a bit -- to at least 3ghz or even 3.2 ghz -- still dual though, otherwise very nice build. is it a standard case and mobo, or you just customizing?

Pck21

When I started about a year and a half ago I knew only a little bit about computers. I knew the parts pretty well, I could navigate windows faily easily, and I knew how to diagnose small problems. However after helping my girlfriend's dad build his computer I became obsessed. About 3 months ago I built my own and I haven't looked back. I love knowing EXACTLY what is in my computer. If something goes wrong, I can tell why and fix the problem.

As of today I know ALOT more about the components of the machine. I know the operating system pretty well and I know how to fix and diagnose most problems. I've actually fixed about 3 or 4 of my friend's computers for them. I'm also in the process of learning linux and working with unix based computer systems. I've also changed my major in college to a CIS degree because of my love for computers and my now wealth of knowledge about them.

I guess my case is rare but I guarentee that if you take the time and the money to build your own pc from the ground up, you'll appreciate it alot more than if you just pull one out of the box.

As far as the price; they can range between $500 without monitor and is a basic pc to over a grand with monitor and some pretty good parts.

holyjunk

That is a dell up there and we here could build you a dell for the same performance wise for a fraction of the price. When you build your own computer you 1. Get more performance for your money. 2. You actually get to customize it more so if you are doing gaming then you can configure it for that, just internet, et.... 3. You get the great feeling of having accomplished something that you did. 4. Parts are generally more reliable, better overall. (In dells, hp's, etc... they use cheaper parts and sell them for more).

ChrisUlrich

memonkeyz said:
How difficult is it build a computer?

I have pretty close to no experience. I'd consider myself a fairly intelligent person, I just don't have the knowledge to do it at this time.

How much time would I have to invest in learning how to do it, and then actually doing it?

And how much money would it cost?

Thanks for your insight...

Well... when I built my first computer the only hard thing was wiring the power button to the motherboard. Everything else is soooo simple. If it doesn't fit, it doesn't go there. Putting the Processor in is a bit tricky too since it's real fragile.

I still can't wire the motherboard to the power button!

RainbowTrout6

The first time I built a computer was when AMD came out with the Athlon in 1999 and went "super mainstream" in the blink of an eye (I was also lucky enough to buy stock in AMD then, but not smart enough to hold on to it when it bottomed out a few years later).

In any case, I had ZERO experience with computers then, but after my Intel machine went tits up and I tore it apart, I learned a great deal. I managed to build and sell about 6 Athlon machines in a month with almost NO computer experience- I just got on-line and did some research, asked some questions and fried 1 motherboard because of stupidity on my part. Then I quit and bought a HP followed by a Gateway.

Just recently my Gateway died, and I'm stuck using a HP built in 2000 until I build a new machine.

The bottom line is that building a machine is pretty simple... just do the research and ask questions. The biggest problem today is that there are SO many options out there that you have to be really careful with compatibility. However, if you do the research and come here and ask questions you'll have no problem building a fine box... not to mention that you'll save uber bucks compared to ordering one from big box shops like Dell and HP.

My advice is to build a simple machine with good parts that will last you a couple of years depending on what you want to do with your machine. If your life revolves around a computer, and you have little experience with building them, then I would suggest ordering one. But if you're willing to learn about your machine, save a few dollars, and can afford to take the time required to build one- do it.

I've been out of the game for almost 7 years, but I'm willing to build my own today because I think pre-ordered machines waste a lot of resources on unnecessary software and keep you from being able to upgrade so you'll spend another $1000.00+ in two years when that technology starts becoming obsolete.

The box I'm going to build in August will be up to date, but will also afford me the opportunity to upgrade in a couple of years to what will probably keep me in the same system for about 4 years. Now, if you're a computer junkie that might not cut the mustard, but if you're like me and want a good machine to play games and do day to day things like bills and web surfing, then you'll be good to go.

I've learned so much in the two days that I've been a member here that I'm not really worried about building my box when the time comes. Putting it together is pretty simple- understanding it is not. Once you understand the process the build will come easy.

Good luck!

bflat450

I am also about to begin on my first build and I was wondering if there was anything that I should know before starting to build my computer. I have a very good knowledge of computers and I know all of the components and how to install them. The reason I want to build my own computer is because it will be very satisfying, fun, cheaper, and run more smoothly and have a more stable base.

These are the parts that I'm leaning towards for the build.
~ Pentium 4 Processor 3.0 GHZ HT
~ NVIDIA 256-P2-N381-TX Geforce 6800XT 256MB
~ 160 GB SAMSUNG Hard Drive
~ KINGSTON RAM 1GB (2 x 512MB)
~ Basic Sound Card
~ SONY 16X DVD±R DVD Burner Black IDE Model DWQ120AB2 - OEM
~ Foxconn 975X7AA-8EKRS2H Socket T (LGA 775) Intel 975X ATX Intel Motherboard

baballin328

building a computer is really easy. but if you have trouble with it go online and find a tutorial (there shoould be one in these forums). make sure you get an anti static pad or wristband so you don't short anything out!

tagerrung

memonkeyz said:
Any thoughts on this set-up:

XPS 700 Pentium® D Processor 920 with Dual Core Technology (2.80GHz, 800FSB)
[222-2570]

Memory 2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz - 2 DIMMs

Monitor 20 inch UltraSharp™ 2007FPW Widescreen Digital Flat Panel

Video Cards 256MB nVidia GeForce 7900 GS

Hard Drive 320GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™

Operating System Microsoft® Windows® XP x64 Edition
[410-0792]

Optical Drive Single Drive: 16X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) w/double layer write capability

Sound Cards Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio

i just bought a PC (im making it as i type) and i would recommend the Pentium D 930, not much more money, 2mb cache, and 3.0 Ghz....wayyyy better

JFHuff

funny enough i just finished building my computer today. Truthfully its real easy. and i got it all for $700. pentium 4 processer 3.0ghz, 160 gig of hard disk space and 1 gig of ram. So you can get a pretty good build for fairly cheap. I say just look around and work on it. Its really satisfying to know that your using a machine youve built yourself. Overall sitting down it took an hour and $700 for me. Not bad

bflat450

wow nice job only $700 that's pretty good ive been seriously considering building a pc and i think im gonna spend about $800 with monitor keyboard mouse etc. not included. I really like the idea of building a computer it would be so satisfying and I have a pretty good knowledge of computers and it keeps seeming to be more easy and more easy to build one. So I think once the new pentium dual core 2 comes out I will get my parts since the other processor prices will drop.

nat1192

Wait on the OS

I would suggest that you hold off on the OS for a little while. Vista is supposed to be alot easyer to install from scratch and has better support for things like x64 drivers.

Last edited:

bflat450

Do you think so? I hear Vista is a real RAM eater and I should build a PC with XP but I guess I could wait. Vista doesn't come out till late fall though right?

Arctic388

i have been "studying" on this for about 3 months now, subscibed to 3 magazines, bought DVD on it and two books all to learn how to build and just havent committed to buying the parts yet. everytime i decide on something everyone says wait till ( fill in part here ) comes out. well i know enough now to know what i want, AM2, DDR2 800 ram, perpendicular HD, etc that i am now just waiting to see the effect on prices.

first thing is read all the stickys on this site on every board. i missed some the first time. i have read everyone of them probably 10 times each. at first they didnt make a bit of sense but the more you learn the more they help tremendously !

bflat450

Sounds like you're ready to build a PC! I've also been researching and reading up on building PCs and I'm hoping to build one in a month or two once the Core Duo 2 comes out and the intel processor prices drop.

kgod86

its pretty easy, i just built a computer for around 500.00, i used me old H.D and floppy drive, everything else is new.