Trying for 4GHz?

teamhex

Well im thinking about pushing my system to 4GHz, and I was wondering what you make of this screen cap here. I'm running prime right now, how long should I let it test before saying its ok? That and whats a good voltage to try for 4GHz on my processor? Or can you not tell me because it varies per setup? Im a n00b to OC'in, but im interested in learning. I feel pretty secure in it, its just im not sure about voltages. I know it should be safe as long as I don't push it past 1.3???, but still im curios. Also do I just OC until it fails to load to the desktop then run prime? Or do I Oc it like 100MHz then test? I understand the process, its just...I want to do it right. People say go up like 10MHz at once, but thus far iv been able to go from 3.0GHz to 3.6Ghz in like...one go.
Capture.png

Last edited:

teamhex

I figure with 50c under load for an hour. At 3.7GHz, thats not to bad right? So I guess ill just raise the freq until it fails then increase the voltage eh?

Capture-2.png

yhahh

hi
My E8400 is clocked @ 4.0GHz for a 24/7 use. All is okay, that CPU is very nice to overclock. I've just had to buy a watercooling because the serie of E8400 that I have heats a lot. but now all is perfect (T°max = 55°c @ 4 and 4.5GHz; and T°idle = 40°c @ 4GHz).
Here is my settings with an Asus P5E (NB x38) and 2*1Gb PC2 8500 OCZ reaper

FSB : 472MHz
ratio : x8.5
DRAM ratio : 5/6
Vcore : 1.425v
FSB term. voltage : 1.36v
DRAM : 2.10v
NB : 1.45v
SB : 1.125v

personnaly, I run CPU Stress during 1 hour to test the CPU. I've never used Prime95.
Hope it will help you :)

Last edited:

teamhex

hi
My E8400 is clocked @ 4.0GHz for a 24/7 use. All is okay, that CPU is very nice to overclock. I've just had to buy a watercooling because the serie of E8400 that I have heats a lot. but now all is perfect (T°max = 55°c @ 4 and 4.5GHz; and T°idle = 40°c @ 4GHz).

personnaly, I run CPU Stress during 1 hour to test the CPU. I've never used Prime95.

Really? Under load mines not breaking 51c at 3.8 my voltage is like 1.23 right now. Seems to run ok, I guess I need to do some testing to call it a stable clock. Let me get a screenie of it under load for an hour. Your Vcore looks a bit high man, are you sure thats normal? I thought anything over 1.35 was damaging? Also what happens if it fails? Will the Pc just restart or will it lock? Or maybe even BSOD?
Capture-3.png

Last edited:

yhahh

yes my Vcore is higher than normal. I've got a bad serie of E8400. But once you push up the Vcore enough, all is OK and temperatures stay corrects.
With the stock heatsink I was locked at 3.8GHz and 1.312v in the Vcore. I got 72°c in load...
I've always heard that the voltage damage the CPU only from 2.45v. I'm a bit under and I'm not scared to use it so much. At the worst it will last 20 years instead of 40 :rolleyes:

If you computer is very unstable, no panic.
Either it will not start and give you a message like "Overclock failed, press F1 to enter into the BIOS"
Or your computer will start but crashes during windows loading (BSOD powaaa xP). It will just reboot.

I've read that you can increase the Vcore to 1.7v (under watercooling) and 1.5 or 1.6v under aircooling. But that values are the extrem limits. For benchmark only.

teamhex

yes my Vcore is higher than normal. I've got a bad serie of E8400. But once you push up the Vcore enough, all is OK and temperatures stay corrects.
With the stock heatsink I was locked at 3.8GHz and 1.312v in the Vcore. I got 72°c in load...
I've always heard that the voltage damage the CPU only from 2.45v. I'm a bit under and I'm not scared to use it so much. At the worst it will last 20 years instead of 40 :rolleyes:

If you computer is very unstable, no panic.
Either it will not start and give you a message like "Overclock failed, press F1 to enter into the BIOS"
Or your computer will start but crashes during windows loading (BSOD powaaa xP). It will just reboot.

I've read that you can increase the Vcore to 1.7v (under watercooling) and 1.5 or 1.6v under aircooling. But that values are the extrem limits. For benchmark only.
If at what im at now, im assuming I can get 4GHz without having to worry to much

mikesrex

hi

why the 8.5 multi? you should get better results with a x9 multi.

as for the original question:

If you have a C0-stepping E8400, start out around 1.40 vcore and run 450x9 (make sure your RAM can handle whatever you have it clocked at. I have DDR2 RAM so I would run the RAM at a X2 multi at 900 MHz. With DDR3 you may be able to run a higher multi)

If you have an E0-stepping, try around 1.35 vcore with the same considerations for RAM.

Figure out what the lowest vcore is that you can run Prime95 stable for a while. As for running overnight, I really don't think that is necessary. You need to run it to where it reaches a steady state temp for a while. I usually run Prime95 for 20 min or so and call it done. I do, however, leave my computer crunching on World Community Grid at 100% load 100% of the time 24/7, which is also a stability test. I have yet to find a setting that is Prime95 stable for 20 minutes and NOT stable at crunching 24/7.

yhahh

why the 8.5 multi? you should get better results with a x9 multi.

I can't increase the Vcore, so I'm locked @ 4.0GHz for a 24/7 use.
I had set the FSB at 444MHz with a x9 multi.
I just wanted to see if the RAM limit was far or not and it runs with a 472MHz FSB so I've reduced the CPU ratio to 8.5 to let the CPU clock at 4.0GHz.

teamhex

So im at 4GHz, running a test, I went for a quick swim while it ran. Whats this mean? Should I raise the voltage a bit more? In the bios its at like 1.28??
Untitled.jpg

Twist86

Not sure usually when I am to low I get a red box on the core (mostly the 4th one) and then my computer BSOD when I do anything ^-^

Could try kicking it up a notch though and see if it happens again.

teamhex

Not sure usually when I am to low I get a red box on the core (mostly the 4th one) and then my computer BSOD when I do anything ^-^

Could try kicking it up a notch though and see if it happens again.

The pc is running great though, iv been playing Tf2 and watching youtube vids. Everything seems to be running just great, its been on for at least 4 hours. Not under full load the whole time, but it hasn't blue screened. Ill wait and see what happens, and if it blue screens or does something weird ill raise the voltage. Im sitting at about 55c under load now. Not to bad right? Im wondering what temp would be safe for this Processor.

bomberboysk

The pc is running great though, iv been playing Tf2 and watching youtube vids. Everything seems to be running just great, its been on for at least 4 hours. Not under full load the whole time, but it hasn't blue screened. Ill wait and see what happens, and if it blue screens or does something weird ill raise the voltage. Im sitting at about 55c under load now. Not to bad right? Im wondering what temp would be safe for this Processor.

Just give it a notch of voltage, its not stable if it gives a work thread stopped error, to be stable you should pass at least 2hrs if not more of prime95.

yhahh

Im sitting at about 55c under load now. Not to bad right? Im wondering what temp would be safe for this Processor.

try to stay under 65/70c in load during a stress test and you'll have no issues. You have to know that during a "normal" use, your CPU will never heat as far as during a CPU stress test.

you're lucky with your E8400 ^^ look at my Vcore :D (1.425v in BIOS)

4ghzhighvcore.jpg

and I can't reduce it :(

teamhex

try to stay under 65/70c in load during a stress test and you'll have no issues. You have to know that during a "normal" use, your CPU will never heat as far as during a CPU stress test.

you're lucky with your E8400 ^^ look at my Vcore :D (1.425v in BIOS)

4ghzhighvcore.jpg

and I can't reduce it :(

Change your Multi to 9 man, you should be able to get a better clock then that. I'm not sure what it all does, but thats what mine was stock so?