Trying to Build - Frustrated

OK, I'm totally frustrated in trying to connect the hardware in the build I am doing. I found the "build a computer guide" very helpful for the hardware. But now I struggle with the connections. And the manufacturer's site shows nothing as to how to connect. For instance, how do I connect the hd? Is it to the ps or the mb or both? How about my dvd/cd? Same question. And if they go to the mb, where? In some cases the mb is labelled and this makes it easy. But in others it's not. How about the power cable from the ps? I'm assuming that the 24 pin connector goes to the mb. The other end of the cable has two molex ends. Do I need to plug both into the ps?

Sorry for the length and confusion. But I have exhausted my searching on the sites because they are useless. Here is the build I am trying to make:

Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit
AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor
Rosewill Challenger ATX Mid Tower
Gigabyte - GA-AB350M-Gaming 3 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard
ADATA - XPG GAMMIX D10 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
SeaSonic - EVO Edition 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
XFX Radeon R5 230 R5-230A-CLF2 2GB 128-Bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.1 Video Card
Samsung - 860 Evo 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Asus - PCE-AC55BT B1 PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter
Asus - DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer

aldan

take a look at your motherboards manual.this will show all the connections on the mb and what they are for.this does,however,require a certain skillset.if you are not comfortable with this,it may be time to seek help from a friend.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
The hard drive and dvd drive will need a sata data cable that goes from the sata ports on the motherboard to the drive. It will also need a sata power cable from the psu. The sata ports you want to use on the motherboard are on the bottom right and they face sideways not up like normally. The 24 pin main connector from psu goes to the motherboard along with an 8 pin cpu connector to the motherboard. The back of the psu is labeled where each connector goes.

Johnb, Laquer Head, thanks for saving me from the bottle:) I did use the thread to put the hardware in, but I didn't find it to helpful with some of the cable connections. However JohnB answered some of my concerns. Now the computer WILL power on and I DO hear the beep (yeah). But there is no video. I'm using an older monitor, is it possible that can be the issue? I've tried connecting to the case as well as the video card and also used HDMI and DVI. Any thoughts?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
The motherboard port wont work as the 1600 doesn't have onboard video. The single beep means it has successfully posted. Make sure your video connections are tight. Did the monitor work before? When was the last time it was used?

Monitor used yesterday without any issues. Removed video card and replaced so I know it's tight. And there aren't any other connections for the card. Also attached is a picture of the back of my hd. There still appears to be a connection missing, but I cannot figure out where it goes and I am all out of cables for that type of connection.

Attachments

• MB.pdf
    121.9 KB · Views: 3

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Ignore those 8 pins to the right on the hard drive those are for jumpers, not needed. What was wrong that you didn't get video?

God only knows! I re-booted a couple of times and the message appeared that I need to insert Boot Media. I'm assuming that this is where I insert the Win 10 disk. BTW - thanks for your help - invaluable:)

OK, a couple of more questions. I've got the computer up and running, but there are 2 issues. One, there is no sound (except for the beep). See attached picture of the buzzer. Where does it plug in (or is it necessary). And then the wireless card is not seen but there is a plug in the back (see picture), that I am not sure where on the mb it should go. Suggestions?

Attachments

• Buzzer and Router.pdf
    220.5 KB · Views: 0

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Is the wireless card inserted into the slot all the way? Windows 10 should have installed the driver by itself. Those pins you are pointing to just are for bluetooth, which you don't need so no worries there. Open device manager and go into sound, video and game controllers and tell me whats listed.

AMD High Definition Audio Device and Realtek High Definition Audio. Where would I find the wireless listed? It's not under Network adapters.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Then the sound drivers are installed, you just need to go into sound properties and select which to use. If you hover over the speaker icon down by the clock what does it say? I would make sure the wireless card is fully seated. I used the exact same card in my sons pc and it works great.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Right click on the speaker icon, click on open sound settings. in the box that says "choose your output device" Select speaker, realtek high definition audio. You just have wrong output selected.

There is only one device under "choose your output....). And that was realtek high definition audio. Still no sound coming out.

OK, maybe that's my issue. I have one plug into the audio pins on the mb. There is a second plug attached, should that go into one of the com ports? A or B?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
The only audio cable that needs to be attached to motherboard is the one from the front panel and it get attached to the hdaudio header. You need to plug speakers into the green port on the back of the motherboard. What is this second plug?