trying to clone my hdd to my ssd.

aldan

so i have a wd black edition 500gb hdd and i want to clone it to my sandisk ssd 480 gb.there is only about 40gb used on the wd black.the wd is only for a clone backup so i dont mind losing enough space on it to make this work.any help would be appreciated.

Manuel Malagon

Hi

I have just done this a couple of days ago and this method works perfectly. No issues at all.

1. Boot from a USB with a live Linux distribution, UBUNTU is ok.
  2. Once booted you have to figure out which is the HDD and which is the SDD. The easy way is opening "GParted". This software will show you your discs in a GUI and then you can figure out which is which.
  3. Let's suppose your HDD is /dev/sda and your SSD is /dev/sdb (this is just an assumption, check yours before doing this, otherwise you may end up cloning the empty SSD into the HDD). Now open a terminal and run the command
    dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb bs=64K conv=noerror,sync status=progress
  4. Sit back and relax until your HDD is cloned to the SSD.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Western digital has the free edition of Acronis which will allow you to that. You will have to make the bed partition smaller then the ssd drive first though. Sandisk may even have software to do it.

aldan

thanks guys.i ended up doing a clean install of windows and reinstalling all my programs.lots of work but i had lotsa beer.lol.thank you all.im loving the ssd thing.perks the old girl right up.

JaredDM

If you're willing to drop $20, this program makes it stupid easy to migrate a HDD to a smaller SSD: https://www.paragon-software.com/home/migrate-OS-to-SSD/

It even gives the option to exclude select folders to make room. Plus it avoids the aggravation of finding out afterward that you're not 4K aligned and losing performance. I've used it about a dozen times now for exactly this.