Trying to decide between 3 builds

beers

Staff member
What's your actual budget? Kind of hard to see what you are building towards with a range of 1050-1950.

That being said I'd never pay $720 for a monitor in the current market.

beers

Staff member
I'd just put the extra into a higher end GPU and pick a 'moderate' monitor such as a XB270HU

XD I had no idea what I was getting into when I started looking at NVidia's top end cards and the monitors that have G Sync.

Laquer Head

Definitely spend money on the actual GPU, don't buy a 'luxury' monitor.. the reality is they all got light bleed, they all could be hit/miss when it comes to dead pixels..etc and paying 5,6,700 for just a monitor is foolish.. ohhh and G-Sync isn't necessary.. my 1080 and non-G-Sync monitor looks/play stunningly well.

Definitely spend money on the actual GPU, don't buy a 'luxury' monitor.. the reality is they all got light bleed, they all could be hit/miss when it comes to dead pixels..etc and paying 5,6,700 for just a monitor is foolish.. ohhh and G-Sync isn't necessary.. my 1080 and non-G-Sync monitor looks/play stunningly well.

That's interesting. So what would you recommend? GTX 1080?

Let me explain my thought process. I thought that if I get a high-end GPU, I might as well upgrade to 1440p / 144hz monitor.

Currently, I have a 21-22" LED, Full HD monitor capped at 60hz (meaning I am capped at 60fps)... you understand....

What should I be looking at in a monitor then? What could be considered an acceptable price?

EDIT: I've read somewhere that 27" should be the minimum for such a card / 1440p resolution. Also, refresh rate would just bottleneck the FPS count. no?

Last edited:

Laquer Head

Well, always comes down to budget. The 1080 are on deal now, due to 1080TI launching, but that being said they are still USD$600-ish (Im in Canada, so even more)

Do I recommend a 1080, yeah absolutely.. but at that price point - they are certainly not for everyone!

I use an Asus 4K monitor (non-G-sync) and play many games, (Witcher3, GTA5, Fallout4..etc in 4K res @60fps and it looks stunning...plays beautifully and I have a 4th gen i5 CPU, which is like 3 years old now.

Size is personal preference, mine happens to be 28"

Are you in the US?

No, I live in Hungary. But I really don't need a 4k monitor. I don't know what's more important? Resolution or refresh rate? So I don't need a G-sync monitor...

The GTX 1080 costs roughly $615. But I've also seen opinions that the 1070 is not a whole lot worse, probably a good bang for the buck.

My last monitor cost me about $100. I'd comfortably spend maybe $300 - $400 on another monitor that could match the graphics card.

EDIT: Also, I prefer IPS over TN panels. Are you serious that I don't need any syncing on the monitor?

Last edited:

Laquer Head

No, I live in Hungary. But I really don't need a 4k monitor. I don't know what's more important? Resolution or refresh rate? So I don't need a G-sync monitor...

The GTX 1080 costs roughly $615. But I've also seen opinions that the 1070 is not a whole lot worse, probably a good bang for the buck.

My last monitor cost me about $100. I'd comfortably spend maybe $300 - $400 on another monitor that could match the graphics card.

Yeah the 1070 is a great card! and for 1440p/60f gaming you'll be good to go.

Resolution or Refresh rate are 2 different things obviously and I suppose it depends what you play.

For me, I like playing with my res @ 4K but then I turn down certain settings a small bit to maintain a steady 60fps so I have best of both, for my tastes. For instance, grass settings are a FPS killer at 4K res, turning this setting down alone, in most games, will fix any stutter/lag

Some people that play shooters are likely gonna go lesser res, to maintain a higher fps.. depends on your usage I'd say

Laquer Head

I love MSI gpu's so good on that.. I'm biased!! lol but between those 2 I'd definitely go with the 'Gaming' version, the Frozr6 cooler is great and they are very quiet even at load!

As for the monitors, keep looking for one that has 1 or 2ms refresh those ones are 4 and 5 respectively and 1/2ms is better overall. Asus is a great choice though!!