Trying to decide if I should upgrade....

Which one should I choose?

• Core i7 920 system 6GB ram DDR3 X58 Asrock Mobo

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • Core i5 750 system 8GB ram DDR3 P55 Asrock Mobo

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keep what i've got and wait for Core i9

Votes: 4 50.0%

• Total voters

Grey410

I currently have what is in my signature. I'm contemplating upgrading to an i5 750 or the i7 920. My builds are actually on $65 difference in price due to using 8GB with the i5 and 6GB with the i7.

I'm not buying a new video card right now as my GTX 260 does fine. In fact my whole computer is fine so that's why I'm torn on upgrading.

Should I just hold off and wait for the i9 with 6 cores? Any clues as to when in the 1H 2010 we're going to see it?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
i would save your money and wait. You have a pretty good system there already. Until the system you have doesn't serve you well anymore, I wouldn't upgrade yet.

Bodaggit23

I see no real "need" to upgrade the current pc, but if I was gonna bite the bullet and do it anyway, that's what I would do. :)

Jamin43

banned
I chose option 1, so when the i9 does come out, you can just slap it in your socket 1366 mobo. :D

Am I the only one who thinks the i9 will be a $500.00+ CPU?

I have nothing but a guestimate for that - but since it's the only thing on the 1366 socket - can't help but think it'll be limited to the highest end price point.

Bodaggit23

I have nothing but a guestimate for that - but since it's the only thing on the 1366 socket - can't help but think it'll be limited to the highest end price point.

I'd say that would be a "light" estimate. :D

What do you mean "it's the only thing on the 1366 socket"?

Laquer Head

Your probably right about an initial high price but several cpu's are on the LGA1366 socket right now!!