Trying to install slave IDE Hard Drive

DistortedPIka

So as the title says, I'm trying to install a second HDD, I have the jumper set at "slave" and the primary drive has two jumpers, one on OS and one on Master (I THINK, the different parts aren't labelled), so when i connect the secondary drive and start my computer, it doesn't detect either of the drives then proceeds to say that the operating system is not found...any help?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
What are the model number of each drive you have? If you can set each one to cable select and put the master on the end connector and the slave on the middle connector, you'll be set.

DistortedPIka

The master is a Hitachi Deskstar 1C35L060AVV207-0 and the Slave is a Western Digital WD400EB-11CPF0. I have the IDE cable in the right places (Master on end connector Slave on middle), however I don't know what cable select is?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If the hitachi is master then remove the jumper. If the Western digital drive is slave then the jumper needs to go on the second set of pins from the right.

DistortedPIka

In the BIOS, if I go to storage, then IDE boot drive, there are two objects there, but they are both blank, the only two options are Non-Boot and ***Missing String***

StrangleHold

Staff member
Just to make sure its not a bios boot issue. Make sure the drive with the OS is set first in the boot order.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You will have to figure out which one has the OS on it before you can set up what drives goes on what connector or configure jumpers correctly. If you installed windows while the other drive was connected, its also a possibility that your boot file is located on the other drive.

DistortedPIka

But I can't tell which drive is which, as it doesn't show the names of either, it knows they're there but doesn't properly detect them

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
So you have no idea what physical drive has the OS on it? I thought you said the Hitachi was the master drive that had the Operating system on it?

strollin

With IDE drives, the BIOS boot order doesn't come into play, only the drive that is jumpered/cabled as the master can be booted from.

What happens if you install only the Hitachi drive jumpered as a single/master (assuming that's the way it was when you started and the system was bootable)? Does the machine still boot?

Last edited: