Trying to make dell dimension e310 atleast run oblivion equivalent games

thelawfull

Right now I want to make this desktop atleast run oblivion style games right now it just runs morrowind style and barely...

Im looking at this card http://www.cnet.com/products/ati-firemv-2250-pci-e-1x-256mb-5-pack/specs/
is it compatible?, ive gotten pretty confused cause ive seen forums where it says something like this was compatable.
http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=01g-p3-1312-lr
Which should atleast let me run games like skyrim
you can tell i like bethesda games lol

does x1 run too crappy?, Can I make a 2gb video card run atleast faster then a 1gb x16 eventually?.
im pretty much stuck with this computer and its limits...

thelawfull

I was also looking into running something like red orchestra 2 or call of duty modern warfare 1 with the ati firemv

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I would get the 210 over the firemv. Still won't be the greatest, especially for COD. Your single core cpu is what will kill you as well.

Darren

Staff member
You're going to be nothing but disappointed if you try either of those cards. If you can barely run Morrowind and you're asking about x1 slots then your processor is probably worthless for Oblivion too.

thelawfull

Well I was just asking if it was compatible, I normally can fare better with things then the normal gamer can. "Really ugly graphics with 15 fps" Its not about being dissapointed, Its about being able to run it and finish it at this point with the fewest lags "0 fps" possible i think oblivion only needs transfer and lightning to run correct?.

thelawfull

I would get the 210 over the firemv. Still won't be the greatest, especially for COD. Your single core cpu is what will kill you as well.

so im guessing call of duty modern warfare 1 requires less then?.
the firemv is to start with since its only 12$ in a couple of months ill try getting a 1gb.

your forgetting though its got 4cpus and 2.80ghz, The higher ghz should help a bit.

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You do realize the firemv 2250 has a dvi-i connector which won't connect to a regular dvi cable without an adapter.

thelawfull

Does the x1 slot make it run slower then an x16 though?, Is there a throttle problem or is it that it is made for the x1 and is stated to run 256mb "or 1gb when I get that one" on the x1 slot or is it going by if it was ran by x16? the whole things got me pretty confused.

Darren

Staff member
The x16 has 16 times more bandwidth than the x1. Go buy a used Xbox 360 or something, honestly. You'll just waste your money otherwise.

beers

Staff member
You can get a 7570 for under 20 shipped on eBay that will perform to a much higher degree.
your forgetting though its got 4cpus and 2.80ghz, The higher ghz should help
Not when the bottleneck is entirely the video card. A 360 core monster at 50 GHz will still suck balls at gaming with that 1x card.

thelawfull

Would something like this increase the speed http://www.ebay.com/itm/PCIE-PCI-Ex...464202?hash=item281032eaca:g:GRQAAOSwoydWoDoM ?

My wifes stepfather gave me the computer so im trying to get by with it
If I threw it out or used a different computer it wouldnt go well, and I want to try to make it work.
I like the pc better then the 360 cause of modding but getting a ps3 soon.
If I get that one I already have a 1gb x16 graphics card I can throw into this machine.

Origin Saint

Is there an external way to use a graphics card for better speed?.
No, and certainly not in any way that would have better performance than if it were installed into the case, not to mention extra cost of doing so.

The harsh reality is, your PC will perform pretty poorly unless overhauled. A console really would be your best bet as Darren said. I get the draw to PC, but it's honestly only worth it if you've got the money to make a solid system. I'm sure that's not something you want to hear, but that's the caveat with PC gaming.

thelawfull

Fare points all around, Maybe I should look at this as an enlightenment. I have been modding elder scrolls for almost 2 years now and its alot of responsibility and has taken alot out of family life between me and my wife, Maybe getting a ps3 will connect us more and ill just say goodbye to computer gaming. I gave her wifes stepfather 150$ for this "he knows nothing about the way computers work lol" but it helped him so im glad for that. Thanks everyone for the replies and hope you all do good in the future. :)

Origin Saint

Fare points all around, Maybe I should look at this as an enlightenment. I have been modding elder scrolls for almost 2 years now and its alot of responsibility and has taken alot out of family life between me and my wife, Maybe getting a ps3 will connect us more and ill just say goodbye to computer gaming. I gave her wifes stepfather 150$ for this "he knows nothing about the way computers work lol" but it helped him so im glad for that. Thanks everyone for the replies and hope you all do good in the future. :)
+1 for taking all the advice the right way and going in a good direction with it.

thelawfull

Thanks yeah computers are crazy he said he spent $15,000 for it along time ago probably back when the ps1 was in lol man how things change.

Intel_man

VIP Member
I mean... you still can spend $15000 on a PC if you really wanted, but something under $1000 will be plenty for most people.