Trying to Run Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego (1996) on windows 7 home edition

strollin

A VM emulates, in software, very common hardware for video, sound, networking, etc... to the point that the drivers are part of the OS such as Win 95. I have VMs of DOS, Win95, Win98, WinME, WinNT, WinXP as well as quite a few different Linux distros all running on my Win 7 machine. You don't need drivers for the actual hardware in your machine in a VM so if the guy actually told you that he was wrong.

Last edited:

Imissthe90s

A VM emulates, in software, very common hardware for video, sound, networking, etc... to the point that the drivers are part of the OS such as Win 95. I have VMs of DOS, Win95, Win98, WinME, WinNT, WinXP as well as quite a few different Linux distros all running on my Win 7 machine. You don't need drivers for the actual hardware in your machine in a VM so if the guy actually told you that he was wrong.

So explain to me what I need to do again. The part that confused me was "fdisk" are you referring to a flash drive or a section of the HDD?

Oh and its Oracle VM Virtual Box, not Microsoft Virtual PC.
I am using an Acer Apsire 5253 series laptop. Is DOS the same as BIOS?

John Buchanan

I am currently playing the 1991 MS-DOS Version of Where in the USA is Carmen Sandiego both in Oracle VirtualBox and in DOSBox. I prefer to play using XP running in VirtualBox because of the very nice GUI and smooth operation, but I cannot get any sound.
I do get sound in DOSBox (using the attached configuration file), but the operation is jagged and hangs up for 20 seconds between missions. I also get a fluttering prompt before switching to full screen (Alt + Enter).
Can anyone get this version of Carmen to play with sound in VirtualBox?

Attachments

• DOSBox_CONFIG.txt
    317 bytes · Views: 1