Turning off Windows 10 Updates to save Hard Drive Space?

amodoko

Quick question, I have a laptop that I'm giving to family. The hard drive only has 128GB (it's an SSD). I want to save them some hard drive space by just installing Windows 10 updates now, and then turning it off permanently by going through the Admin Tools in Control Panel. The two main reasons I want to turn it off for them is to 1) save them hard drive space since the updates take up a lot of space it seems and 2) Some Windows updates cause conflicts and since the people I am giving the laptop to are not the best with computers I don't want them having any issues (and also causing me to have to go there and fix it for them).

My question is, I heard that Windows 10 is a "service" and if I turn off Windows updates that Windows 10 may stop working in the future if it can't update itself. Is this true?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

I would not do it, under no circumstance would I reject windows updates, if saving space is the issue I would get a bigger HD first or add a second / third Hard Drive to allow for better organisation of your space.

If software compatibility of any other program relating to an update of the OS became an issue then I would reject the software application that has an issue with a fully up-to-date OS and find another alternative to replace its function that does not.

If a certain hardware component within my PC had an issue with a windows update (I once had this issue with an old wireless network card I was using), then I would replace and update the hardware at fault, even if it meant building a new PC from scratch assuming my PC would not handle the latest and most up-to-date version of Windows possible.

But under no circumstance would I consider not taking every OS update possible, with the exception of Beta versions which I would not use on any OS or Driver, and I would strongly advise against it, as a degree holder in "Business and Computing for Science" to anyone who thinks turning off OS updates is a good idea, it simply is not, Updates are good and there for a reason, they fix know issues with the OS and increase security of your entire PC. Seriously DON'T TURN THEM OFF.

_Pete_

amodoko

Hi, thanks for the replies. I don't need help figuring out how to turn the updates off. I already know how to do that. I understand it isn't advisable to turn them off. I was just wondering if anyone could answer my original question though: I heard that Windows 10 is a "service" and if I turn off Windows updates that Windows 10 may stop working in the future if it can't update itself. Is this true?

aldan

as far as i know you cant turn off all the updates in win10.as for disk space,i have win10 and all my programs installed and i use about 30gb of space.the updates dont take a lot of space.i totally agree with killershark on this one.

Hi, thanks for the replies. I don't need help figuring out how to turn the updates off. I already know how to do that. I understand it isn't advisable to turn them off. I was just wondering if anyone could answer my original question though: I heard that Windows 10 is a "service" and if I turn off Windows updates that Windows 10 may stop working in the future if it can't update itself. Is this true?

Yes your OS could stop working, on top of many other security issues you would expose your PC to in the process, last 2 posters agreed with me 100% when I say "DON'T TURN THEM OFF", because this is an absolute fact and nothing could twist me into advising any other cause of action, I am more convinced turning off Windows updates is a very bad idea than I am convinced that the Earth is a sphere that spins at 1040Mph and rotates at a speed of 30 km/sec around the Sun, and that Nasa are not just 100% full of shit and have gone to great lengths to hide the ancient truth that the Earth is a Flat, Stationary Object surrounded by an impenetrable Dome in which we are all trapped like fish is a fish tank.

speedyink

VIP Member
You can not turn off updates in Pro now either, they got rid of that with the anniversary update.

It's really dumb, I'd rather do manual updates myself.