Tutorial: How to make and register a website online

Punk

Staff member
Introduction to the webmaster world

Making a website takes both time and knowledge. You must have a certain knowledge of how the internet works and also how to code a website. Here is a little introduction to how a website is built:
The main page is called index (index.htm, index.html etc). It is what the browser will show when a internet user enters your URL. It can be built in different codes such as HTML, ASP, PHP etc...
You will definitely need a certain knowledge of HTML, I recommend a good knowledge of HTML, basics of Javascript and PHP. Depending on how you will make your website, you will need to learn other script languages or how to use other softwares:

Other Script languages: PHP, Javascript, CSS...
Other softwares: Flash, Java...

TIP:When I first started making websites, I learned the basics then made a website. From that point, I learned and made newer version of the website. This is how I learned.

Punk

Staff member
Steps

As I said before, making a website takes a lot of time. There are different steps to follow to be sure you make your website good:

1. Make your website. The most common error is to register and pay for everything before making your website. Sometimes, you'll end up with paying a year for something you're not even going to use...
  2. Register. You can choose between buying a Hosting deal and a Domain name separated or buying them both in a package deal.
  3. Upload your file to the FTP
  4. Test your website.
  5. Show it to your friends :D

These steps will be explained in the tutorial.

Last edited:

Punk

Staff member
Making a website

Now is time for you to build your website. You don't need any money yet, you're just going to build it and preview it in your browser.

First, you need to know how you're going to build it. Are you going to use HTML or other script languages? Are you going to use Flash? Then depending on what you answered, you will need a good knowledge of the software/script of your website's skeleton. Take time to read online tutorials, buy books or go to a class to learn. Don't give up! It might take a lot of time, but in the end, it's worth it.

Then you will build your own website. Try to make it as easy to use as possible. For HTML editing, get a free HTML editor such as my favorite: HTML Kit.

Tip: In HTML, forget about using frames. Use tables instead of frames.
Tip2: CSS could help you make a better design for your website.
Tip3: Don't put too much animation, sounds or pictures, it will make the user go to another webpage as soon as he hears/sees it.

Your website is done. You have previewed it both IE and Firefox to be sure there is no problem with the CSS alignment. You will now need to buy a hosting deal and a domain name.

Last edited:

Punk

Staff member
Registering a domain name/hosting package/separated

After you have finished and tested your website, you will now need to buy a hosting deal and a domain name.

Host: the host is the company that will host your website online, meaning you will use their space to put your website online. There are different kinds of hosting such as Dedicated Hosting (you get a server for you only, which gives you better bandwidth but costs more) or Shared Hosting ( you get space on a server where other people also have space on it, it will cost less but the bandwidth will be limited).
Domain name: The domain is the URL address of your website. Let's take a website for example google videos:
www.video.blablabla.com. The italic part is called "domain name". The "video" is a subdomain. If you are used to FTP, it is a folder inside the website's FTP.

You can choose between two options:
  • Buy a hosting deal and a domain name separately
  • Buy a package deal

Whatever is your choice, you will need to look for the best price and also know how much space you will need. Are you planning to host Videos, images or MP3? Go for more space and Bandwidth. Are you planing on just making a small website? Go for less space and less bandwidth.

Connecting a domain name and a host:
If you bought a host and a domain name separately, you'll either have to enter the address of your website to redirect it or to enter the DNS address. To enter the DNS address, ask your hosting company for the address if you don't have it already and enter it in your domain name panel under "DNS". You sould have two addresses to enter.
To see if it worked, enter your domain name in the URL and see if it goes to your website.

Last edited:

Punk

Staff member
Conclusion

Now that everything works, don't just stop there. Ask for feedbacks from friends and anonymous persons on how to improve your website. Then make a new one with the new knowledge you have learned.

I hope this tutorial has helped you,
Punk

Last edited:

-Fatos.

Making a website takes both time and knowledge. You must have a certain knowledge of how the internet works and also how to code a website. Here is a little introduction to how a website is built:
The main page is called index (index.htm, index.html etc). It is what the browser will show when a internet user enters your URL. It can be built in different codes such as HTML, ASP, PHP etc...
You will definitely need a certain knowledge of HTML, I recommend a good knowledge of HTML, basics of Javascript and PHP. Depending on how you will make your website, you will need to learn other script languages or how to use other softwares:

Other Script languages: PHP, Javascript, CSS...
Other softwares: Flash, Java...

TIP:When I first started making websites, I learned the basics then made a website. From that point, I learned and made newer version of the website. This is how I learned.

I just wanna know where can i learn languages such as PHP HTML etc. in the internet ? :)

Punk

Staff member
I just wanna know where can i learn languages such as PHP HTML etc. in the internet ? :)

Yes you can find free online tutorial easily on internet but I suggest you buy books, I find it better to read a book than to read an internet page ;)

massahwahl

VIP Member
Ive been using Microsoft Expression Web and it is fantastic! Very user friendly and it only puts what you need into the script.

EGS

banned
I would like to add my own recommendations out of experience. I've been developing websites since 2000/2001, officially publicizing them via 2002. Note that the reference URL that I just provided contains a very small lists of websites that I have developed that are still online. :)

Domain Name Registration:

The above three registrars are all great. All offer good support and good pricing. It's really up to you which registrar you want to go with. Keep in mind that when you're registering domains, you want to keep these factors in mind: reputation, user interface, customer support, and pricing. All of the registrars I have listed above have good factors.

I would highly recommend that you do NOT register your domain with GoDaddy. Don't let their advertisements during the SuperBowl fool you for reputation. The customer support is outsourced, and horrendous, and their reputation for domain security is a joke.

Web Hosting:

The above web hosting companies have been in business for years and have great reputations. I have also personally used these web hosts for clients and big companies. When choosing out of the above list, consider price and user interface, because all of the above web hosting companies have great uptime, fast servers, and great support.

HTML Editing Software:

FTP Software:
  • FileZilla - fastest, most secure, and open source FTP client.

Hope this helps some n00bs. And when learning about HTML and CSS coding, use w3Schools. When learning a programming language like PHP, use their official site, as it has the best documentation: PHP.

HixBlix

A great help
just starting out designed a few site for a friend and want me to take care of them for him and publish them online for his businesses found this post very useful for the link's and punk's guide

Punk

Staff member
If anyone as anything to add please let me know, I will add your content. This could become a 101 guide :)

Koffer

For the FTP Soft. I'd recommend WinSCP aswell http://winscp.net/eng/index.php

My Tools of trade in coding the web are(Both sadly need to be bought):
Microsoft Expression Web (You can get this program for free if you have user in Microsoft DreamSpark)
Adobe Dreamweaver (No option pops into my mind, how to get that freely)

As for hosting.. Well, this right here might be a bit country specific but you can't really find anything this cheap. http://tantum.ee Just go and have a glance.

Punk

Staff member
Dreamweaver isn't that great actually, it adds so much useless scripts when you don't know what you're doing...