Two different user ID with the same IP

hgd7833

I have a question you guys.

My neighbor is a friend of mine and we have registered in a forum, and become members there. My friend has some issues with the ISP so he disconnected the internet service, but i provided him with internet from my network through the wireless, and because of that we both have the same IP address.

One of the moderators has noticed that and he asked me about the reason for having two different ID, i told him our story. A few days later he came back to me and told me that i am lying, and the information and data they receive from my logging and his logging shows that both posts are coming from the computer machine, which means that it is one person. He also said that our browsing configuration has a unique fingerprint and is impossible to have the same specifications on our computers unless it is just one computer and one person !!

I am quite shocked of that and he was talking as if he was pretty sure.
How can this happen ??
How can we have the same specifications and configerations if we have two different computers in one IP ?

BTW, can a forum's moderator tell if two posts are coming from the same computer or not ?? I am afraid he is lying because we are TWO DIFFERNT persons.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
They can't tell what computer its coming from. They can only tell both users have the same ip address since using the same internet. The moderator of that forum don't know what he's talking about.

GaryCantley

What John said. I'm an administrator on a reasonably succesful forum.

So, if there are two of you, using the same PC, same browser but different logins (which is possible), is that the same person?

I'm wondering about that little tracking s/w that is free and shows OS, browser being used etc, cant remember the name. I reckon that is how he is getting his information.

If he wants to be that pedantic, I would email the admin of the forum informing him/her of the mods actions/words.

If that dont work, leave the forum. I know I would as I cant stand cliques and thats what this sounds like.

hgd7833

Thank you John and Gary.

Actually, that's what i thought from the beginning. Although i sworn that we are two different persons using two different machines but he didn't believe me and claims we are using the same computer machine. He sent emails to both of us in two different days, and we both replied to him. Then, he said: Now guys, I was 100% that you are using the same computer but now, after receiving your emails i am now 110% that you are using the same computer.

I am like: How the hell you figured this out ? He said: I used to be a pro hacker, and if you are hacker then you would know how did i do it and you would be able to find out if both posts are coming from the same computer by the specific configuration of the web browser and screen resolution and other plugins, ... etc
He banned one of the ID's. I did what Gary said and i left the forum because of this idiot mod, but i just wanted to know technically speaking if what he said is possible or not even from a pro hacker.

hgd7833

what and hes a mod thats terrible

maybe you should forward the message he sent you to a admin to get him banned

Actually i did and haven't heard anything from them. I just wanted to know for a technical point of view is this (what he said) true and possible or just lying ??

wolfeking

banned
I would think that it would be impossible to tell unless he had the machine ID, like teh service code or serial number, to tell that it is coming from the same computer.

From what he is saying, that via browser resolution and webbrowser config that you can tell if something was sent from the same computer, then If I send something from my HP and my sisters Acer, they will be sent from the same computer. Both are at 1366*768 on Athlon II 2GHz with HD4250 with Chrome setup via default settings on the same username and windows settings. That would make them the same computer how!!!

So, what I would do is ask him to provide his exact evidence via screenshot. If he can not, then hes lying and I would go to the admin about it. He may be able to be prosecuted for violation of privacy too.

hgd7833

I would think that it would be impossible to tell unless he had the machine ID, like teh service code or serial number, to tell that it is coming from the same computer.

Thanks for the info. Yeah, it's quite impossible to know the serial number of any computer that send posts to the forum. I don't think there is any forum in the world that can predict the serial number of the computer that is logging in. This is really ridiculous. He must be lying.

tremmor

Im curious now. If it showed a physical address that is a mac addy and associated with the computers using the ip that is the same being used. Is that logic wrong? Isn't the mac associated with each computer being used as a identification? or physical address.
hope i said it right.

then again maybe they can't see it from the wan side. In the past checking from the lan side i could see it for each computer. Maybe they can't. And for me to find how i would have to research my notes. The physical address showing always matched the mac on and from each computer. I don't know what they see though.

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
An administrator may be able to view more information then I as a global moderator can see. Our Vbulletin forum only shows us an IP address that a user has. Even in some countries you may see many users have the same IP address.

hgd7833

Good day,
Remember that Intel is making the CPU with ID number in it, So make be that start to happen??:confused::eek:
Cheers.

What i understood from your post is that they can identify the ID number of the computer from the post while the member is online ?

hgd7833

BTW: I have received the following comment from someone regarding my issue:

You and your neighbour clearly don't use the same external IP address. Every external IP address is unique (just like an internal LAN address). The moderator could easily check via IP address or even MAC address (if they are using SPI) to find out if you're using the same computer for both accounts.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I say the moderator of that forum has issues and you shouldn't be using that forum. As long as you told them that you are allowing your neighbor access to your wireless internet, it will show up as 2 users with the same IP address. I don't think they quite understand that.

GaryCantley

HGD,

Go on then, give us a link to that forum so I/we can go cause a bit of havoc over there!!!

Sorry, in one of those moods tonight :)

linkin

VIP Member
I got asked on this forum about a similar thing. Me and a former member (NSWDTNSER or whatever) somehow had the same IP address. I could access this site from school, I also used a VPN at some stages (when sponging wifi from the mcdonalds across the road) which is what I told whoever it was that PM'd me, and that was it. So yeah, same IP address != same person or computer.

Tell that admin he's a douche (don't actually do this) and just use a VPN of some sort.

paulcheung

What i understood from your post is that they can identify the ID number of the computer from the post while the member is online ?

I don't quite remember where I did read that, said the financial institutions soon use the Intel digital ID come with Ivy Bridge to Identify the user for online payments. So the website will be able to identify the computer that used to conduct business from Intel unique ID.
Cheers.

http://www.schneier.com/essay-187.html

http://newsroom.intel.com/community...nsumer-payment-experience-for-online-shopping

Last edited:

madmatt2006

They can't tell what computer its coming from. They can only tell both users have the same ip address since using the same internet. The moderator of that forum don't know what he's talking about.

your right :good: they could only tell from the MAC id.

Vampiric Rouge

While it's by no way 100% accurate, they could be inferring it based off of browser headers and possibly Google analytics. From that they can get everything from browser version and operation system to screen resolution and supported add on's like flash and java.

hgd7833

Guys>> I need your help please.

Can i find a hacker to destroy the forum's website ??? please ?? The same forum that i spoke about.

I've never hurt anybody in my live but this forum and the moderators there are extremely rude and impolite. They violate my privacy in chatting with a friend of mine and they posted the whole conversation. This moderator is a f*****g asshole. I spoke to the administration a lot of times but all of them are supporting him.

I need help.