Two hard drives leading to same problem?

suki243

thanks for the suggestions, as soon as the rma'd hdd comes back I'll try some of the stuff. but in the mean time i'll check the battery and try memtest again.

PC eye

banned
I ran memtest a few times here due to seeing some enormous 573 errors. I said no way. I have to lower memory settings down from the 200mhz to 166mhz to even have Windows load. After the initial run following the battery change here memtest later saw no errors when testing the dimms separately. That's telling that tthe old pair of Corsair xms series dimms were also being misread by the now obviously failing chipset here. Hopefully it will only be the battery needed on yours.

suki243

Just recieved the new RMa's Hdd. Will check the battery, and replace it, then will run memtest for a few hours.

suki243

Running Memtest Right now and these are the settings, I didn't touch any of them/
P4 (0.13) 2789 mhz
L1 cache 8
L2 cache 512k
memory 1023m
Chipset : Intell i848/i865 (ecc : disabled) - FSB : 199 mhz - PAT diabled
Settings ram: 199 mhz (DDR398) / CAS" 3-3-3-8/ Dual Channel (128 bits)

PC eye

banned
I've been running a new board here for a week now where memtest saw no errors at all on the 2gb of Kingston ram. That's a switch from the other board seeing some 573 errors. Hopefully with a good drive and fresh battery you will start seeing a normal running machine there. The present case will serve as a backup when the new build is finally seen here. I know it's frustrating when you system is down. Let's hear a good reply on this.

suki243

Well, ran it for 12 hours and no errors at all. Then I had to stop it cause its soooo loud, (thats what I get for buying cheap fans). I installed new cmos battery before I tested.

PC eye

banned
I know about cheap fans alright. Although the pair of blue led 80mm fans are not even heard the old cpu cooler with a 92mm sized fan on top rattled like two trash cans banged together when running Half Life 2 or another game until it simply quit one day. The same sized fan on a Zalman isn't even heard when everything gets cranked up now. The 12hr. run could have even been shorter from what I suspected already about the memory. How is Windows running now? Have you tried restarting the system a few times to see what happens during the boot process? If everything keeps coming up normally then you are pretty much set to go. If you start seeing hangups on a fresh install ut oh?