Two Laptops (Mac or PC)

Xiaozhu

The macbook on the other hand would be (including iWork) $1250.00 (Since I`m going to university apple has this promotion on where I get about 20% off and get a free iPod Touch)
Is the 20% off for the campus computer store, or for all Apple stores? I'm a university student too, and 20% off an expensive Mac Pro would be awesome. And it applies to all Apple laptops?

tlarkin

VIP Member
Is the 20% off for the campus computer store, or for all Apple stores? I'm a university student too, and 20% off an expensive Mac Pro would be awesome. And it applies to all Apple laptops?

Apple gives every student and employee for a valid educational organization a 10% flat discount. Anything beyond the 10% would be a deal the university or school has done.

DMGrier

VIP Member
Well I thought you where saying that was a security feature they where adding, As far as them creating a 128 bit system, That would be cool, it won't really matter cause so will apple and the Linux distro's will release one two. Lets just hope that if they create a 128 bit system it isn't like when MS gave us the 64 bit system aka vista.

Xiaozhu

Last edited:

tlarkin

VIP Member
Well I thought you where saying that was a security feature they where adding, As far as them creating a 128 bit system, That would be cool, it won't really matter cause so will apple and the Linux distro's will release one two. Lets just hope that if they create a 128 bit system it isn't like when MS gave us the 64 bit system aka vista.

128bit hardware isn't even really viable, not to mention almost all applications still run 32bit. On my win7 box at home if I open task manager all my apps are running in 32bit mode, because the developers have not made 64bit versions yet.

DMGrier

VIP Member
I am just saying when MS gives us new technology it is sometimes best to wait till there next OS or at least a service pack or too.

Metallica17

I'm not really sure what you're basing this on? I'm sure you've had years of experience to which you base you're claim [Said in sarcastic tone while noting you're only 16]

Macs are a bit more expensive if you look at raw computing power, but that's not what they sell. They're selling you a product that's going to last for years on end. They're selling you the ability to take you're laptop to any Apple Store and not have to ship it in the mail and get lost in the shuffle. The battery life on the Macs is excellent. They actually get close to what they claim. If you get a 12cell battery it's usually bigger and heavier. Try to find a laptop that delivers the usability and power of a Mac in the same size. It won't happen. I searched for a month before purchasing. Size and weight were big considerations due to traveling on a deployment.

As one person pointed out his laptops are disposible, but Macs actually have a resell value and you can usually get $1000 off a used MBP.

Windows 7 is a great operating system. I love it. I usually keep it on my MBP as well. There's a lot of things that Microsoft has derived from OS X.

Am I being biased because I own a Mac? You may think so, but I'm just trying to point out the benifits and hate when people flat out say Macs suck without substantiating their claim.

I could give an infinite amount of reasons to not get a mac. I own one. It is complete GARBAGE. I'm not being bias like you think I am, (Since I'm just some 16 year old whose opinion doesn't matter apparently) but I will never waste money on a Mac again. Period.

Metallica17

Metalica 17
What a stupid statement to say Macs are no good, obviously you have never used one
to it's full intention
I have used every Mac since the old MacPlus
Best computer produced bar none !you couldn't do good graphics on a PC.

I have a mac laptop that is useless to me, and my parents have an iMac. So don't tell me I have never used one.

DMGrier

VIP Member
I don't think there isn't anything wrong with you being 16, I think what he meant to say was some of us remember using windows 3.1, and I remember back when the imac really did suck. I don't know how many school's still use them but my god the imac's sucked so bad always a spinning beach ball when you clicked on something.

Apple are not bad computer's if you know how to use them. Like I would argue the best OS is ubuntu, it has been able to do everything windows 7 could, and it is actually easier to use then 7 in my opinion. It is just how you use a OS, I know a guy who does amazing stuff with the FreeDOS OS.

tlarkin

VIP Member
I could give an infinite amount of reasons to not get a mac. I own one. It is complete GARBAGE. I'm not being bias like you think I am, (Since I'm just some 16 year old whose opinion doesn't matter apparently) but I will never waste money on a Mac again. Period.

I have 2 Macs at home, and 8 in my office. I manage 8,000 macs at work and 40 xserves. I also own two PCs at home, my previous job was helping manage 10,000 PCs (all windows) and about 80+ HP Proliant servers (mix of win2k3 server and Novell.

I would say I have had a bit of experience on both sides, and I would never call one or the other complete garbage. Though these days I do think Windows is the worst OS out there.

DMGrier

VIP Member
I will say in his defense that at least he has owned a Mac unlike some of the people that argue on this subject. Now if he wanted some respect with his comment then I would say they he can call them garbage but he should support it with some facts.

I like apple and it took me to play around on one while I was fixing a buddies window pc and need to use the mac to get drivers from the internet. But I hated apple for years cause I used the first imac's in public school and they where so slow, they may have never froze and crashed like windows but sometimes the length of time it took them to do some task Windows was still faster with the crash.

But Since intel and nvidia came into the picture they have pretty good performance. The price still way to high. And with Apple there are a few thing where they are behind like not offering bluray, which wouldn't be bad if itune video was 1080p but from what I read online there only 720p.

tlarkin

VIP Member
I will say in his defense that at least he has owned a Mac unlike some of the people that argue on this subject. Now if he wanted some respect with his comment then I would say they he can call them garbage but he should support it with some facts.

I like apple and it took me to play around on one while I was fixing a buddies window pc and need to use the mac to get drivers from the internet. But I hated apple for years cause I used the first imac's in public school and they where so slow, they may have never froze and crashed like windows but sometimes the length of time it took them to do some task Windows was still faster with the crash.

But Since intel and nvidia came into the picture they have pretty good performance. The price still way to high. And with Apple there are a few thing where they are behind like not offering bluray, which wouldn't be bad if itune video was 1080p but from what I read online there only 720p.

There is this engineer for Apple, who went to a college once and asked all the college students about their thoughts on Apple. All the kids said that the Apple computers at the school sucked. He went to investigate and sure enough, the Mac labs were crappy.

Why was that?

Well, back then Apple didn't have many back end tools to manage labs, so back in the day you had typically 1 guy (since there are IT snobs that refuse to use Macs - Haters gonna hate! ) running around fixing, maintaining each computer by hitting them one at a time.

So, this Apple employee wrote a software called Netrestore (now it is a retired app) which allowed central imaging over netboot for Mac clients. This spawned off a whole bunch of enterprise support for Macs, and helped techy people in the back end make the end user experience better.

Most likely your work/school computer is going to suck compared to your personal one. That is because they are managed, and have certain policy enabled on them because they are purchased to do one function. Either help you with school work, or your job work, and not meant to play games, music, movies, etc....

So anyone that says a Mac sucks because they use them at school and it sucks really is probably not getting the full experience of what OS X is.

I agree though, at least that guy owns one. I see so many people say I've used OS X for a month and it sucked. How can you learn how to efficiently use an OS in 1 month?

DMGrier

VIP Member
No I firmly believe that the first imac's just sucked. I remember using actual Macintosh computers and they ran smooth with no hardware failure. The imac's always gave the spinning beach ball and where always breaking. The school system eventually switched over to Dell and they ran much smoother and far more reliable.

I do understand the a personal computer over a school system computer will run much better but what I am saying is that there where some systems that ran better then others.

tlarkin

VIP Member
No I firmly believe that the first imac's just sucked. I remember using actual Macintosh computers and they ran smooth with no hardware failure. The imac's always gave the spinning beach ball and where always breaking. The school system eventually switched over to Dell and they ran much smoother and far more reliable.

I do understand the a personal computer over a school system computer will run much better but what I am saying is that there where some systems that ran better then others.

Dell? More reliable? I hate Dell, and I used to have a ton of them at work....

DMGrier

VIP Member
Hey man I am telling you a experience from when I was back in school. Plus I have never had a problem with Dell's I have owned many of there laptops and desktops and they have always been great, there just a company you never buy there base line models from, just like everywhere else.

I am not comparing a Dell to a apple product it quality build, what I am telling you that the first gen imac where garbage, not at all saying that is the case now. I also prefer Dell cause ubuntu drivers work on 90% of Dells.

Last edited: