Two questions

Rick G

The case comes with round cables but I don't know which ones, wait and see, then get anyy additional round cables you need. Remember that case has a very nice window and toyr going to see th stuff inside so rounded cables in the right colors make it stand out big time.
Sound like yout well on the road to a great system, when your friends see it, DO NOT SELL IT.
If you need any help let me know.

kalen3285

Hey I know this is probably like beating a dead horse but I'll bring it up anyway. I know you said SATA is expensive, and I'll probably end up not going with it, but what about it exaclty is expensive? I mean if the motherboard supports SATA and the hd itself isn't very expensive (the cheapest 120gb @ newegg is $100), what else makes it expensive? Just curious. Thanks.

zkiller

<b>VIP Member</b>
it's new technology, other than that, i wouldn't see why it's expensive. but if you say the hdd itself isn't that expensive and the motherboard has the sata controller on it, well, then it's probably not very expensive. :)

kalen3285

It doesn't seem expensive to me either, but if you look at some of Rick's earlier posts, he's very adamant about how expensive SATA is.

Rick G

Hey, I lied and didn't know it. Sata's have come down in price a lot since I last checked them out, my apologies. If it were my choice, I would go with the SATA as I;ve read that the acess times are significantly faster than std IDE.

kalen3285

Hey, I have a question about memory. What's a good speed. I've been looking at Corsair XMS memory, and the DDR500 looks nice but is also quite expensive. It that kind of speed overkill? If so, what speed will still perform well? Thanks.

Rick G

Memory is quite subjective and depends on the mobo and the cpu. Remamber that any of the memory speeds will work and the whole system you are looking at is totally upgradable. SOOO, why scrimp on memory when you can have a brand new upgraded computer just by changing the CPU. Plus if o/c ing is in the future the higher the spped the better and 2 sticks are much better than one. I just ordered 2 sticks of Geil Ultra Platinium PC3500 for a total of $96 on special at newegg.com.

kalen3285

Do you know of any online guides or books about building your own computer? I found some that were informative but kind of out dated. Thanks.

Rick G

kalen3285 said:
Do you know of any online guides or books about building your own computer? I found some that were informative but kind of out dated. Thanks.
The best bet is to make a list of all the buyable parts that are in a computer. Then start researching the net on each component. After you enderstand what each part is and does you will be well able to assemble your own computer. There's not that many parts and if good parts are used they will have their own set of instructions as how to install. With all parts selected and gathered together in one place, you should be able to have a new computer assembled and up and running in less than 3 hours. Its that easy.

imjacktoo

I have two Seagate 80gig SATA HD's at $79 apiece... Now at NewEgg $77.25...
That makes it a 160gig HD in RAID array for $158. Seagate is the only drive that u will need SATA power cables but u can buy adapters to use ur molex connectors. No need for a new PSU...

My benchmarks in PCMark2002 go from around 800 with a WD 80gig drive to 1799 with two SATA's in RAID 0 array...Huge difference..