Types of memory for a mobo

Ryan_Sama

Hey everyone. I had a quick question about Ram and motherboards. Il use the asus crosshair IV Formula AM3 AMD 890FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard as an example, on newegg http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131644\

it says the memory standard DDR32000(O.C.)/1800(O.C.)/1600(O.C.)/1333/1066
my question is what does the o.c. stand for? i understand it would make it run faster but i dont know how it works. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

G.holmes93

Basically, the 'O.C' stand for 'Over-clocked'.
Something that's overclocked is a modified piece of hardware, in-which the clock speed, core speed etc is faster than the manufacturers recommendation. With things like RAM and CPU's, you can modify them by using free programs online. To my knowledge, to over-clock a motherboard you have switch over some jumpers and play around with the BIOS settings..
Anyway, the conclude O.C means overclocked, and something that's overclocked has faster speeds than the manufactures recommendation, due to the raised Mhz of the clock speed.
Glenn

Ryan_Sama

thanks alot for your help, so your saying that they come pre overclocked and that i dont have to do any messing around with it?

StrangleHold

Staff member
thanks alot for your help, so your saying that they come pre overclocked and that i dont have to do any messing around with it?

Most CPU memory controllers go by JEDEC standards. By default they will boot higher clocked memory at 1333. If you buy memory higher then 1333, you will need to go into the bios at manually set the memory Speed/Timing and Voltage.

G.holmes93

Most CPU memory controllers go by JEDEC standards. By default they will boot higher clocked memory at 1333. If you buy memory higher then 1333, you will need to go into the bios at manually set the memory Speed/Timing and Voltage.

No problem, and this fella pretty much replied for me ;D