U3 flash drive problems

redneckbcer

I inherited the treasurer's job @ our church. I was given the software (Quicken Books 2008) & the data info was on the flash drive. It is a Staples Relay U3 flash drive. I tried removing all dvd payers & drivers as the U3.com web site suggested but still couldn't get anything. I even removed my HP 3210 All in One software but that did nothing either.I even tried to update my drivers but did not seem to help. The flash stick will light up every so often then shutoff then come back on, just goes in a cycle. I have an XP operating system. My daughters computer downstairs will open up this flash stick, but when I put the data on a regular flash stick & transport it upstairs & install one of the dat files into Quicken Books it comes up some server type error & won't open up the file. The error message is"The drive or network connection that the shortcut "Qdat______.lnk refers to is unavailable. Make sure that the disk is properly inserted or the network resourse is available" . Any ideas on this would be much apprieciated. Thanks

kobaj

VIP Member
Whenever you are copying the files from the U3 flash drive to your regular flash drive you are making LINKS. You need to copy the actual file from the u3 to the flash drive. Whenever you right click and select copy then go to the regular flash drive, instead of hitting right click paste. Press the "ctrl v" keys on your keyboard. This should paste the actual file and not the link and quicken should be able to open it.

As for why the U3 doesnt work in the first place is beyond me. My friend has one and he has to hold the shift key while he plugs it in and wait a couple of seconds then release the shift key. From there he goes to mycomputer and there is the u3 working like a regular flash drive.

Hope this helped.

redneckbcer

I was able to copy the files to Quicken Books, but the shift key never worked for the flash drive. Thanks for the advice.