Ubuntu 08.10 Upgrade from 08.04

netrick

I just upgraded from Ubuntu version 08.04 to 08.10. It took quite a while for all of the downloads, and I was a little worried about my wireless internet and wireless printing functions, but both work great without any tweaking whatsoever. I did notice that downloading the Nvidia 3D driver was also very easy, and there is a new Nvidia control panel included. Very nice feature. :)
Anyone have any other experience to share with this upgrade either good or bad?

Last edited:

Irishwhistle

I have nothing but good to say about the upgrade... I upgraded the day it was released and didn't have a single problem. The support for my camera is just great! :D

PC eye

banned
I see this version sees both 32 and 64bit releases compared to the previous 7.10 and 8.04 versions. I'll be trying the latest live shortly in both.

netrick

I have nothing but good to say about the upgrade... I upgraded the day it was released and didn't have a single problem. The support for my camera is just great! :D

I noticed the same thing with my camera as well. Also, audio CD's, movie DVD's, my Sansa MP3 player and even my old Zip Drive all just seem to work with no fussing or tweaking. If they keep this up, Ubuntu just might be a serious competitor for Windows.

PC eye

banned
I have some screens here of the new look as well as some real long awaited avancements seen with this release like the option to install while in Windows! That's a new item that will grab attention. The first screenshot here shows how that looks once you select the install option.

The second shows the desktop for the 64bit version including the very much familiar explorer look when browsing drives/partitions.

Irishwhistle

I noticed the same thing with my camera as well. Also, audio CD's, movie DVD's, my Sansa MP3 player and even my old Zip Drive all just seem to work with no fussing or tweaking. If they keep this up, Ubuntu just might be a serious competitor for Windows.

Yeah... now I'm just waiting to see "Windows XP/Vista, Mac OS X 10.4 or later, Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex or later" on the packaging for cameras and mp3 players and such...

I just wish it worked better with my mp3 player than it does (Zen V Plus) I have to acces it through Gnomad2. :p