Ubuntu 11.10

lucasbytegenius

You have to click the gear on the new login screen to change the desktop environment, guys.
Just fyi.

Personally I like the Unity desktop. That sidebar is handy and I like how maximized programs take up more of the screen :)

2048Megabytes

It is highly annoying to me. I have been using the Legacy graphic user interface of Ubuntu for years and then programmers just completely abandon it for a new change. I will likely go with another Linux operating system other than Ubuntu because they will likely do it again. If they include an option for future releases of Ubuntu to load the legacy graphic user interface that would be very good.

lucasbytegenius

It is highly annoying to me. I have been using the Legacy graphic user interface of Ubuntu for years and then programmers just completely abandon it for a new change. I will likely go with another Linux operating system other than Ubuntu because they will likely do it again. If they include an option for future releases of Ubuntu to load the legacy graphic user interface that would be very good.

Uh...Did you read the thread? xD
Click the gear on the login screen.

jonnyp11

i looked at that and oly options are unity and unity 2d, which are both, obviously, unity sessions. i remember on 11.04 you could get some of the stuff that wasn't there by using the synaptic package manager to download the files.

jonnyp11

11 or 10.04? thinking of it myself cuz it was a little faster and also it recognized my graphics card. also was considering opensuse or one of the other simpler distros, i think there was an umbrealla one or something, any opinions on this? want something with a little more difficulty and all to try out, and also anyone know any programs or anything that are good for learning to program or anything, i know there are many for it on the ubuntu software center and i know python is supposed to be the best for beginners and all.

Last edited:

jonnyp11

downloading opensuse i think 11.4, it's the one on the gnome 3 site which by the way for those who hadn't noticed is the reason for unity, not ubuntu themselves, they moved to gnome 3 which is designed that way. again, anyone know any simple programing learning softwares on the ubuntu or any other marketplace or anything, even for windows would be fine