Ubuntu! Anyone getting it?

Are you waiting for the Ubuntu 10.04 release?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

aviation_man

Hey forumers!
I'm kinda fed up with Windows now... It pisses me off :) So I'm going to wait for Ubuntu 10.04 to come out (April 29th 2010) and put that on my main rig (But still probably duel boot).

Anyone else waiting for the release? What's your thoughts?

I have 9.10 on my laptop. It works great. My laptop is several years old, now with 9.10 on there it almost runs like brand new.

Last edited:

tlarkin

VIP Member
I am staying with 9.10 for a while. I got it running my HTPC with Myth TV. It is built but not fully functional just yet I need to still do a lot of tweaking. I had to add a ton of packages too.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ive downloaded the BETA to try out in Virtual machine but not had chance to load it up yet.

So you two guys both use Linux as your primary OS,s?

tlarkin

VIP Member
Ive downloaded the BETA to try out in Virtual machine but not had chance to load it up yet.

I don't really have a 'primary' OS. I have a windows box for gaming, my HTPC is Linux and my work computers are Macs. So really it just depends on what I am doing.

aviation_man

I am staying with 9.10 for a while. I got it running my HTPC with Myth TV. It is built but not fully functional just yet I need to still do a lot of tweaking. I had to add a ton of packages too.

Any particular reason why you're staying with the 9.10?

Oh. Let me know when you do please :)
I use Win7 on my main rig, 9.10 on my secondary rig/laptop. But I'm going to use Linux for primary uses now.

I'm sticking to windows right now. Win7 is really nice and I love it. Why are you fed up with it?

Oh. Because sometimes when I'm moving large files and doing other tasks (not HUGE tasks but large enough) things stop responding... My DESKTOP stopped responding 3 times...Then windows explorer disappeared.. and then came back. Just stuff like that.. I'll still use it though.

tlarkin

VIP Member
I have had enough problems with HDMI audio, and setting up 9.10 and adding all the packages I wanted I have no desire to update to beta anything. Plus, if it ain't broke don't fix it man!

gamblingman

VIP Member
yeah, right

I agree with leaving things alone if they work and are safe. Why mess with it just to have headaches!

I like the version 9 Ubuntu, but I may get the ver 10 in a few months. I wanna look it over first, maybe only run it from disk at first to see any differences.

Rit

I have an extra HD now that I might install Ubuntu with. I've never had any other OS besides Windows. Thought I'd give it a whirl to see what it's like.

Fatback

VIP Member
I don't really like Ubuntu! seems like everything you do takes more effort then Windows. Not only that but I just can't get the hang of how it works. I also don't understand why they can't make it easier to remove. I still haven't removed mine yet because I don't feel like going through the trouble getting windows boot manger back. I like Vista and have never really had any trouble from it. I will always be a windows person mainly because I don't fell like learning another OS.

Last edited:

aviation_man

Ubuntu is for kids
I concur.

I don't really like Ubuntu! seems like everything you do takes more effort then Windows. Not only that but I just can't get the hang of how it works. I also don't understand why they can't make it easier to remove. I still haven't removed mine yet because I don't feel like going through the trouble getting windows boot manger back. I like Vista and have never really had any trouble from it. I will always be a windows person mainly because I don't fell like learning another OS.

haha. Sounds to me like you're just too lazy, dale.. :p

Drenlin

Im' considering going back...I used Xubuntu 7.10 for nearly a year, but when 8.04 came out, my wireless stopped working and I couldn't fix it. None of the other distros worked either. I went back to Vista....and oddly, for better or worse, I was actually happy with it until my mobo fried.

That said, I want to see what the Linux Mint version of 10.04 looks like.

Last edited:

zombine210

i'm currently [strike]running[/strike] battling ubuntu server 9.10 on my PIII, but i've dabbled with linux for a bit in the past.

it's not hard to run and do things, but it is difficult to customize, especially if you're used to rt-clicking stuff and changing properties. the transition from windows XP to 7 has been a lot easier than getting ubuntu samba up and running...