Ubuntu Linux

mill4978

What thoughts do you guys have on this operating system? Can you even install windows games on it? Just tell me what you think of it becuase im thinking of building my own computer and want to stay cheap. And this OS almost costs nothing.

aviation_man

It doesn't cost anything..... I don't know where you get your sources from but I thought all linux OS's are free? It's on their main website.
And no. Pretty much nothing that works on a Mac or a Windows machine will work on Linux..

ducis

It doesn't cost anything..... I don't know where you get your sources from but I thought all linux OS's are free? It's on their main website.
And no. Pretty much nothing that works on a Mac or a Windows machine will work on Linux..

au contrare, many windows applications and games run on linux via wine.
many linux distros cost money, though most don't.
wine however is very very far from perfect, and I wouldn't reccomend linux if your only reason for using it is cost. Linux is very different from windows and it would be unwise for anyone to jump right in. try a dual boot of linux and windows first and when/if you feel comfortable enough with linux you can make it your primary os.

aviation_man

He's talking about you getting used to Windows first. They are basic and easy to learn off of. Linux requires much more knowledge to run on. You have to know what you're doing first to run Linux. Windows will do you great for right now.

He's saying if you're using Linux just for the lower cost - don't. ^^

mill4978

ive been using windows since windows 98...so im fond of it but I can't afford it I mean seriously 120 bucks? Come on...and Ubuntu Linux is free...so I'm saying why not give it a shot...unless you know where I could get Windows cheap?

ducis

he's probably already familiar with windows, what I was suggesting if for him to dip his toes in linux, learning the basics like how to install programs and such, so that you don't find yourself stranded with a computer you can't use properly.

your OS is a the most important piece of any computer, don't skimp on it. If you have absolutely no money for an OS then you should probably save a bit more before buying a computer.

there are many uses for linux, but for the vast majority of people the difficulty you'll have with it outweighs the $150 you'll save.

Jonyboy

Some of you are making Linux sound like hell. Haven't any of you booted into ubuntu recently? It's not exactly the hardest thing in the world to run. If Mill is actually considering building a computer then I would hope that he has the intuition and intelligence to do some basic tasks in linux

chibicitiberiu

If you want linux, go for it. The problem is that many programs that work on windows won't work on linux under wine. Most directx games won't work, they have to run in OpenGL to work. Still, wine is under development and it is very far from perfection.

If you want to play games, and use software that only exists on windows, better use windows.
Linux may be the best operating system, but not for gaming.