Ubuntu softwares

Punk

Staff member
What are the basic softwares needed to run on Ubuntu (8.04)? I'm thinking of A-Vs, don't know if they are needed since it's my first time on Ubuntu...

Thanks for your input :)

Punk

Staff member
first question, why 8.04? That is really out of date. It will work, but is really out of date. Try 10.04 or 12.04 if anything. If they are hard on your system, then Lubuntu is a lot better in that regard (looks better too).

It's one of the CDs I had, I am upgrading to 10.04 LTS as we speak.

Troncoso

VIP Member
You don't need any additional software after the initial install to use Ubuntu. If A-V means antivirus, then no, you don't need to worry about installing any. Beyond that, just have a look around the software center. There are thousands of free programs to do whatever it is you'd like with your machine.

Punk

Staff member
After that upgrade to 12.04 and install MATE/LXDE and you will be up to date.

what do you need to do with the programs?

Will do.

I have no special request just wanted to know what were the basic softwares of a Ubuntu computer, like Windows has AVs, Ccleaner etc.

PS: yes, AVs means Antivirus :)

Punk

Staff member
There is no need to use AV as long as you are not a complete fool when you are using it (seeing as there is very little viruses to affect a linux system).

Really, there is nothing you need to add to a Ubuntu install to make it work. There are a few things that can be added if you so want, like other window managers, conky, and chrom(e/ium).. Anything else you want can be pulled from the software center.

Ok thanks!

Upgrade didn't work, it downloaded everything and gave me an error and went back to old version...

Punk

Staff member
Is there a reason why you can not just download the newest version? That would be a lot easier than upgrading.

I have the CD but when I tried to install it through the live CD it got stuck at 93% (configuring hardware I think in english)...

Punk

Staff member
What that is saying is that there was an error in OpenOffice that was caused by a missing dependency.

Check your MD5 hash on your download and make sure it matches. If it does not, then you need to download it again until it does match.

I'm doing this through the update-manager...

Should I do it with the CD?

salvage-this

I agree with Wolfeking. Just download and burn a newer version

Just to head back to the original question for a second,

Ubuntu restricted extras- for codecs
After that installs run these two lines to get encrypted DVDs working.

sudo apt-get install libdvdread4

sudo /usr/share/doc/libdvdread4/install-css.sh

Cinnamon Desktop- just as another alternative to Gnome 3/XFCE/LDXE/KDE
Ubuntu Tweak
Synaptic package manager

Punk

Staff member
Ubuntu 10 isn't working properly.

Installed it correctly through live CD, then went on to install upadtes but it crashed. I turned it off and try to restart it but Ubuntu won't boot. I'm downloading 12.04.2 Desktop and will try it.

Will it work though? The laptop only has 1GB of RAM...