Ultra Wide Angle Lens

spirit

Staff member
I'm looking to invest in an ultra wide angle lens for landscape photography next year.

I had a play with the Sigma 10-20 f/4.0-5.6 (Nikon fit) in August and I liked it a lot, so I'm looking to get one of those. I know there is an f/3.5 version of this lens too, which is more expensive. Is it worth paying the extra for the fixed aperture? Currently, brand new, the f/3.5 is £100 or so more expensive than the 4.0-5.6 (but this may change of course) and the 4.0-5.6 is easier to find second hand.

Are there any other ultra wide lenses for the Nikon fit which would be worth considering? I don't really have a budget, but cheaper is better for me! Second hand is definitely an option here too!

If there's nothing better than the Sigma which is affordable I suspect I'll probably end up with one of those. :D

Thanks!

Geoff

VIP Member
I'm not too familiar with what Nikon has to offer, but I had the Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6 and loved it. Tamron has an 11-16 f/2.8 I believe, and while the majority would agree that is one of the best ultra wide lenses to get in terms of IQ, many people think the f/2.8 it not necessary. When shooting at ~10mm, you only need to have an ideal shutter speed of 1/15th or faster, which isn't too difficult to achieve with even indoor lighting. As far as DOF is concerned, most people use UWA lenses for lanscapes, which you shoot at a narrow aperture anyways, so from what I've read very few people find a need to ever use f/2.8 on an UWA.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Go with the Sigma.

smoothe_brick_by_voyagerfan99-d4o4vvr.jpg

up_the_stairs_by_voyagerfan99-d4o4vqm.jpg

fall_afternoon_explore_by_voyagerfan99-d4o4tt8.jpg

taking_a_shot_by_voyagerfan99-d4o4tnz.jpg

looking_in_by_voyagerfan99-d4o4u4o.jpg

Last edited:

spirit

Staff member
Brilliant guys! Thanks for the information and the sample photos! :good:

I think I will buy the 10-20 f/4.0-5.6 then. I may buy it new but I am hoping I might be able to get a good second deal on one. :)

I was a little concerned about the aperture, but since anything faster isn't really needed, I probably won't bother spending the extra.

Geoff

VIP Member
Brilliant guys! Thanks for the information and the sample photos! :good:

I think I will buy the 10-20 f/4.0-5.6 then. I may buy it new but I am hoping I might be able to get a good second deal on one. :)

I was a little concerned about the aperture, but since anything faster isn't really needed, I probably won't bother spending the extra.
Just one indoor shot with the f/4-5.6 :)

i-jxVmVdM-XL.jpg

spirit

Staff member
Hmmm... went to the Sixth Form open evening today (basically it's further education in the UK) and the school are now saying that Sixth Formers can take laptops into school and hook them up to Wi-Fi and stuff. Seems really good, so I think my money may be better spent on a laptop. The laptop is cheaper new than this lens.

Need to decide still but I will probably go for the laptop instead.

But, I'll still take the advice should I want to buy another lens. :)

Geoff

VIP Member
Haha that's me on the left :D
Yup! :D

You were with me for most of the shots in NYC I posted earlier too haha

That looks good to me. :)

OK, I think I will definitely but that lens when I have the cash. Cheers guys!

Hmmm... went to the Sixth Form open evening today (basically it's further education in the UK) and the school are now saying that Sixth Formers can take laptops into school and hook them up to Wi-Fi and stuff. Seems really good, so I think my money may be better spent on a laptop. The laptop is cheaper new than this lens.

Need to decide still but I will probably go for the laptop instead.

But, I'll still take the advice should I want to buy another lens. :)
Get both!

WeatherMan

I would've thought pretty much all FE institutions in the UK would allow students to bring in their personal laptops to work from :)

I know the last 3 colleges I've been to have let me lol

spirit

Staff member
Maybe in the future and working I will be. ;)

I would've thought pretty much all FE institutions in the UK would allow students to bring in their personal laptops to work from :)

I know the last 3 colleges I've been to have let me lol

Yes, my Sixth Form does. Hence why I'm now considering buying a laptop over this lens since I don't already own a tablet or a laptop.

mr.doom

May I add my bit? :p

Depending which camera you have, go either with Sigma or, if you have a full frame dslr, go with the Nikon 18-35mm. it is shockingly good lens that holds straight lines in any given situation and do not suffer vingeting almost at all. Here are some examples:

DSC_3093_zpsd28bf0d6.jpg

DSC_3129_zps73436be4.jpg

DSC_3094_zps1fe7d7d4.jpg

DSC_3113_zpsbcb9cb80.jpg

DSC_3152_zps4d7fb453.jpg

spirit

Staff member
Epic thread bump, but I think I'm possibly going to go and buy this lens very soon - do we still think that the Sigma is the best one to get?

Thanks!

Last edited: