Un-installing and Reinstalling Windows XP

themighty

My laptop is filled with Viruses and programs that I don't want and can't uninstall. I've backed up all the files that I need, and want to know if it is possible to reinstall Windows XP, so that the computer is complete wiped and only Windows in installed. When I put in the XP disk again, I'm given the option to install, and after an hour of going through the process, all the programs where still there. Does anyone know how I can do this?

Rip_Uk

put the cd in the drive, restart your computer, now when the disk loads up (blue screen) select to re-install windows and there is an option to delete partitions on your hard drive (C:), delete them all.

themighty

I ran the CD on boot, and have gotten to a menu with the following information...

The following list shows the existing partitions and unpartitioned space on this computer.

Use the UP and DOWN ARROW keys to select an item in the list.

To set up Windoews XP on the selected item, press ENTER.
To create a partition in the unpartitioned space, press C
To delete the selected partition, press D

C: Partition1 (VAIO) 19077 MB (3951 MB free)
D: Partition2 (VAIO) 19077 MB (13559 MB free)

So what should I do? Do I delete both the Partitions to clear my computer of everything before I install Windows? And do i set up XP in C: or D:? Any help would be appreciated!

Last edited:

themighty

ok, i've done it now! thanks for all the help! I've come across another problem now, after Windows reinstalled I can't seem to get the wireless working, i can't see any options for it anywhere, but I think that will need to be answered in another thread, rite?

JustCallMeBob

Clean XP installation cds (ie not "return your computer to factory state" cds) dont contain any drivers. Clearly you have the first one unless you wouldnt be asking this. Its just a stripped down version. If your computer comes this way you often get a cd with drivers on it. If you aint got one you will have to find out what network card you got and download the drivers and install and youll see itll get working. ;)