Unable to connect to Microsoft update site with AOL (cable modem)

AFoster

Hi everyone,

I have a very strange one here :eek: . I'm assisting a friend with setting up their Linksys wireless router so that they can use both their desktop and laptop computers on the internet. The router works great (using PPPoE) and an MTU of 1490 and I can browse websites from either the laptop or the desktop - with the exception of Microsoft sites! I can't connect to Micrsosft sites (and can't use the Microsoft update site) yet I can ping and connect to any other site I have tried to connect to. (I can't ping Microsoft, but apparently thats normal)

Can anyone give me any guidance on what might be the problem here? It's very bizzarre that everything works well, except for Microsoft Upadtes and viewing Microsoft sites.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks

S_Doherty

The simple solution would be to use Internet Explorer to navigate to the site...if this doesn't work...u have a problem...sometimes they are working on the site so this may have been the case when you went to visit it....

AFoster

S_Doherty said:
The simple solution would be to use Internet Explorer to navigate to the site...if this doesn't work...u have a problem...sometimes they are working on the site so this may have been the case when you went to visit it....

I used Internet Explorer (you have to log onto AOL first to establish a connection, but once this is done you can use IE) and all sites except Microsoft sites seem ok. The problem has been ongoing for 3 weeks so it's not a site outage problem.

S_Doherty

If it has been ongoing for three weeks, then No, its not an issue with their site....now, I would have to ask the question if it were a valid OS installation? And if so, contact microsoft and I'm sure they would have a fix for you...try restoring your default Internet settings...clear your cache and temp internet folders...

mumbles

Your problem is AOL get rid of it and all will be well . I have just gone through the same thing with my network at home and are waiting for the Tech to fix the computer with AOL on it. All the other computers are working fine without any problems only the computer with AOL on it won't connect to anything . I told my Tech and he has had this problem with AOL before the only way to fix is get AOL off the computer in total