Unable to get an IP address from Wifi

Eric4753

Hi, I am trying to set up an extender on the wifi at my house; however, the extender keeps giving me this error message every-time I try to connect. I've tried resetting the extender and the router/modem but I still can't get them to connect. Any ideas on what to do? Extender is a linksys ea6500 dual band extender. Modem/router is a: technicolor tc8717

Thanks,
Eric

beers

Staff member
Did you put in the correct SSID information into the repeater? Can you paste the config?

Eric4753

Has it worked before? Can only assume it's not setup properly.
It did before, but the owners have now bought a new modem/router that is the different model and I also no longer know the user name and password to it. (I've tried admin ; password) Also probably important to note that I've tried it with another extender a NETGEAR EX2700, it worked one time before getting the same error message. Must be something with the wifi itself since none of these extenders work. Theres also more to this problem, my pc has an external wifi adapter a NETGEAR WNDA3100v3 It did the same thing as the NETGEAR extender, it connected once before failing everytime with the same error message.
Did you put in the correct SSID information into the repeater? Can you paste the config?
it has a program it runs in the browser where it connects to the wifi. It just gives me an error stating it can't get an i address from the wifi. There is no option to put the ssid of the wifi or of the new network in there. How would I paste the config?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You will have to get the network info from the new router. That's why it won't connect.

Eric4753

You will have to get the network info from the new router. That's why it won't connect
I'm meaning I have the password for the wifi. So I can connect on my phone etc. What I was meaning was I cant log into it to change the settings. (Where you type 192.168.0.1 into your browser etc)

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You'll need to get the info from the owner to be able to connect to it. The Extender needs network info to connect to the new router.

Eric4753

You'll need to get the info from the owner to be able to connect to it. The Extender needs network info to connect to the new router.
alright I now have the credentials to log into the router to change settings etc. I still don't understand what you mean by the extender needing network info

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I still don't understand what you mean by the extender needing network info
Let me ask you this. Is there an ethernet cable running from router to extender? If not, then you need network info so that the extender receives internet from router, otherwise it doesn't know what network to connect to.

Eric4753

Let me ask you this. Is there an ethernet cable running from router to extender? If not, then you need network info so that the extender receives internet from router, otherwise it doesn't know what network to connect to.
there is not an ethernet cable running from my router to the extender. However, randomly it decided to work today after resetting everything again. Hopefully it will work from now on.