unable to install OS on ECS RC410L/800-M

Shinnen

Hi,
I bought this XPLio computer containing the ECS motherboard RC410L/800-M. It's an old computer that can accomodate both Sata and Pata HDDs. When I bought it, it had Windows XP installed (sata hdd) but would hang part way into booting. So I removed the hard drive and slaved it to my Windows 7 computer, which did not recognize it's presence, neither in the bios or disk managent. Then, I replaced the hard drive; but while trying to install Windows (I tried; 7, Vista, and xp) it would hang part way through the installaton, so I have not been able to install an OS on it. I have NO idea what's going on here, and would appreciate any help.
Thanks,
........ john

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Usually what you do is determine at what percentage point if hangs and google that. I haven't installed 7 in years and don't quite remember the process. So say your watching the install and it freezes up at 43 percent done, you would google "windows 7 install hangs at 43 percent" And you should come up with some articles about what could be wrong.

Shinnen

Hi John,
I've made a little progress since I posted above. I ran a memory diagnostic and discovered that one of the modules is defective. So, I'm not getting hanging anymore. Instead, it will run the course of installing the drivers, at which time the screen goes blue, followd by the BSOD with the following error. Stop:0X0000005c, with a couple of similar codes behind it. I looked up this error, but it doesn't seem to be very specific to any problem. I'll look up the entire error code, I think there's 3 or 4 like the one above, in a line. I have several 'fixit' disks here: Hirens, Lazesoft, System Rescu, and UBCD. I'll just keep pecking away at it. I've had a lot of problems with this thing; bad hard drive, bad memory, seized case fan, plus some bios settings were wrong. But, hey, it's a challenge ;< ) Right now it appears as if it just doesn't like the hard drives I've tried. I'll let you know if I make any progress. Thanks for the suggestions.
......... john

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Download BlueScreenView
No installation required.
Unzip downloaded file and double click on BlueScreenView.exe file to run the program.
When scanning is done, go Edit>Select All.
Go File>Save Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt.
Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content, and paste it into your next reply.

I'll then be able to debug the blue screens and give you a better idea of what could be wrong.

Shinnen

Hi John,
I don't have an operating OS on the computer
I get the blue screen after it fails to install the OS.
I'm not sure how I can run it.
...... john
By the way, here's what the entire blue screen error is
** STOP: 0X0000005c (0X000000000000010B, 0X0000000000000003, 0X00000000000000000000000000000000) plus or minus a couple of 0s :< )IMG_1107a.JPG

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Oh, I thought you said it was doing it while installing drivers. Sorry about that. That error when installing windows basically means there is a hardware issue somewhere. It could be wrong setting in bios, failing hardware, bad installation media. Are you using usb or dvd? Is the DVD scratched? Are you sure you still don't have another bad stick of ram?

Shinnen

Hi,
Yes, I'm afraid I did say installing drivers. My mistake. It happens right after initially laoding of files, when the bar finishes going acoss the bottom of the screen. I'm not sure how to better describe it, since I 'm not exactly sure what it's doing or has done.
I'm using a DVD and it's Windows Vista that I'm installing. I was on the ECS site and it says that the computer supports XP, Vista, 32/64bit, and one other ( not 7 or above), so I chose vista. I did change the DiMM voltage to 150mv, from the default. (I have no idea what the default is). I also changed the ACPI to 'enhanced efficiency". Both of these at the suggestion of something I read earlier. I doubt either of these are the culpits, but I'll reset the bios to the default settings, since I changed them a while ago, before finding the bad RAM.
Well, it's odd that you mention bad RAM. I took out the original 2gig stick, since the system wouldn't boot AT ALL with it, and replaced it wilh 2 one gig sticks of my own; one of which was causing the system to only partially load the OS files during installation, so ......... that solved the partial loading problem ...... partially, because I still have the same problem, just a little later. With the bad RAM I put in, I was not getting the BSOD, just a freeze up.
I will reset the bios and rerun the memory test, just to be sure, and let you know.
Can I assume that, if the memory test gives me a thumbs up, setting the DIMM to 150mv is not necessary?
...... john

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Put all your settings back to default and try installing windows. Then go from there. But then again, this system is really old and it may be time to retire it.

Shinnen

Hi john,
I ran 3+ passes of the memory tester and everything seems OK. Oh yes, I've tried reinstalling several times; but I will try again. If that doesn't work I'm going to substitute the onboard card with an, equally old, Ge-Force7100. (One of the onboard unit's attachment pins was missing and the unit seemed a little wobbly, when I got it.) It's worth a try. Retire it? Oh yes, it's at least 10 years beyond it's bbd; but it's not ready to retire ........... yet.
If you don't hear from me, for a couple of months, you can assume that it found the bottom of Lake Ontario ; < ).
Thanks again for your help. It's much appreciated.
...... john

beers

Staff member
Do you have another GPU to put in there? Since it's barfing when it's trying to load video elements (such as transitioning from a console/text prompt into the GUI installer) I'd take a look at that.

Shinnen

Hi beers,
Yes, I have a GeForce 7100GS, which seems to work, but also gives me the BSOD when trying to install Windows.
..... john

Shinnen

I tried running my Linux Mint installation this morning, which may have provided some useful information when it stopped. I 'm posting a picture below. I was wondering if the last 2 lines following 'end Kernel panic' tell anthing useful. Sorry about the screen. I Can't seem to change the resolution.
IMG_1098a.JPG

Shinnen

Hi,
I've been pecking away at this, reseated the power connectors, increased the memory, fiddled with the bios settings, changed hard drives ...... and, I've been trying to install Windows XP pro. The images below are what I got today. The first one is the initial screen I got after partial installation. When I clicked on OK, I got the second screen. When I hit 'close' on that screen, the computer rebooted and, after sitting, a long time, on a screen absent messages, produced the initial message screen. At no time did the computer seem frozen, i.e. the mouse could always be moved. I hope these tell you something.
Initial screen
Page 1a IMG_0893.JPG
Second screen
Page 2a IMG_0896_hf.jpg
Thanks,
....... john

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like either your cd drive is bad or your installation media is damaged/scratched and can't read the data, hence the cycle redundancy errors.

Shinnen

Hi John,
OK. I've tried several Windows installations, so it's probably not the CD itself. I did try another DVD unit, way back, I'll try another; I have several here; but do you know how to clean these units? I imagine they're referring to the lens?
Thanks,
....... john

beers

Staff member
your installation media is damaged/scratched and can't read the data, hence the cycle redundancy errors.
Pretty much this, Windows can't reliably read the data from the disk and what comes back from the reader doesn't pass the integrity check.

They have those disk doctor things that resurface your CD if you're in a pinch, although it's pretty easy to find an XP ISO at this point.

it's probably not the CD itself
The amount of times it's the CD instead of the drive is way higher.

Shinnen

Hi beers,
I must respectfully disagree. These CDs work fine in my other computers, and I've tried several different CD/DVD players, both pata and sata. I suspect there's something else going on here. But, I appreciate all help.
....... john

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Then it could be something with the motherboard. Cycle redundancy errors its having problems reading the data from the media. It could be sata cable or motherboard. If you say that cd works fine in another computer then obviously try a new cd drive. Other than that, its time to scrap this setup I think.

Shinnen

OK. Let's see if the CDs/CD players are the problem. What about installing something from a pen drive? I have a 16 gig one. Will anything fit on this?
...... john