Unable to install

datman

I bought the OEM copy I want to install it on it’s own partition but vista says there is no volume that meets it’s criteria. This better not have anything to do with the oem. :confused:

PC eye

banned
When going to install Vista on a second partition on a second drive here for a dual boot with XP Pro it refused! The difference between an oem and a retail disk is simple; no cardboard retail box and no larger OS manual for the extra $200. That's it! Vista wants to install to the first partition only. Makes you wonder if the upgrade is worth it? So XP Pro goes on the new sata drive added I guess.

datman

so if I move my drives or even unplug the one with w2k and plug it in after vista is up.

you are right I'm wondering if it was worth the trouble.

PC eye

banned
With XP Home on the primary ide and formerly XP Pro on the second identical model 259gb drive here Vista simply refused to install to the second partition forcing the upgrade of Pro to Vista. Once that was done the boot.ini file for the Pro edition had to be edited to remove the planned reference to Vista on the second partition there.

If you don't want to have to go into the bios or if your bios has it the F8 boot menu to load 2000 you will need to in Vista to a second drive with the 2000 drive still plugged in. Vista's boot manager will then see the additional option added during the installlation when the installer detects all drives. Upon completion you will see the option to boot Vista or a previous version of Windows.

With the shareware known as VistabootPRO you can assign 2000 as the default version to load. You simply use one of the arrow keys to highlight Vista and press enter to see that load instead. Otherwise Vista will now be the default version that boots up. The new shareware spotted at http://www.vistamania.org/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=47

(Gee? you can even rename Vista to "Bill's latest flop" if you want too! :p Instead of seeing previous version of Windows you can put Windows 2000 with the rename option in the shareware.)

datman

actually it was very easy. I have a 500g sata drive and it must have caused a glich in vista. I unpuged it and ran the set and it installed fine.

thanks for the input

PC eye

banned
Glad to see if running for you there. The installer is a little different at first to get things running. With the Vista overwrite of XP Pro on the second drive when it wouldn't install to the second partition for a dual boot the plans for using the 500gb sata for strictly storage went foobar. While the Home version has it's use on the first ide drive let's see if a three version setup works.