Unable to see attached files

My wife has a MacBook and I have a brand new Lenovo. When I send her an email with an attachment (using Outlook), she never receives the attachment. I've tried several different emails and none of them work. Also, on my old Acer, she was receiving the attachments. Is there something with my Outlook settings that is causing this issue? My Lenovo and Acer used Win 10.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Its most likely a security setting inside the program she is using that disables attachments.

I thought that too, but if I send the email to another PC, the attachment can be read on that PC. Then if I forward it to her MacBook from the PC that I can read the attachment, it comes through fine. Has to be something in my Outlook, but I'm not sure where it would be.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
It can't be on your end if they show up fine on another computer. How are you sending messages? rich text or html? Not sure if that would do anything or not.

OK, I've tried rich text and she still cannot see any attached file on the Mac. I also tried something else. I confirmed that the version of Outlook (using 365), was the same on the Lenovo as on the Acer. I sent the same email with the same attachment from both. Again, she was able to see and receive the attachment from the Acer but not the Lenovo. Am at a loss as to what to try next.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Just check the security settings for attachments for whatever program she is using to retrieve mail.

I talked with Apple Support and they said that this is a common issue. It has to do with going through Microsoft Exchange and how it encrypts the files. Unfortunately the only way one can see a winmail.dat file on a Mac is to download a third party utility from the Apple store. Many times the file that is sent comes across as a winmail.dat and can be viewed with the third party software. What sucks is how common Outlook, Microsoft Exchange, and Apple are, and one STILL needs a third party utility. Oh well, thanks for trying to help me.