Undoing a HD partition?

TheHeat

Hello, I'm a bit of a computer n00b and I had a question.

A while ago a friend of mine gave me his old HD from his pc after his processor had died on him. I formatted his HD and I've been using it as a second HD in my pc since then and it's always been working without any problems etc. But ever since I installed the HD it's been showing up as two HD's: an E: drive with 179 gigs and an F: drive with 7 gigs. Since my C: drive was very full at that time I didn't care and just used the E: drive to store the excess data. But I'm wondering now if there's any way I can just make the E: and F: drive a single drive.

I've never used partitions so I'm a complete n00b at that. Also I'm wondering if it's even possible to undo the partition without losing the data on both the E: and F: drives. I formatted the HD before I started using it, the partition may be some factory default (the pc it's from was one of those ready build desk top pc's) The HD is from western digital btw.

Thanks in advance.

veilx

hmmm depending on what operating system you're using (vista/win7 for Example) you right click "computer" in the start menu, and select "Manage" from the list... once you get the window, select - "Disk management" from the left panel, it may take a while to show you're hard drives- once you see them, right click on the unnesecary partition that you want to delete, and select "Delete", when it's done, it will make "Unallocated" space... leve it alone. Now Right click your Main hard drive, and select "Expand" or something like that- follow the setup wizard, and you're done!

Edit: Welcome to the forums!- it's a great place here, and im still a newbie- come back anytime!, im guessing that extra hard drive partition was a recovery partition.

Last edited:

TheHeat

Thanks for the replies but just to be sure: undoing the partition won't delete anything from the drives?

Bodaggit23

Thanks for the replies but just to be sure: undoing the partition won't delete anything from the drives?

To "Undo" the partition, it needs to be deleted, so yes, all data on that partition will be gone.

But, the files on the partition you keep will remain intact.

1. Backup all necessary data on unwanted partition.
2. Delete unwanted partition. This leaves Unpartitioned Drive space.
3. Expand existing partition to include unpartitioned space.

TheHeat

Thanks again. I forgot to mention though that I'm still running on XP, I hope that won't make any difference. And which program would you recommend me using for undoing the partition?

Sorry if I seem a little anxious but after all I don't wanna lose any data or crash my system :eek: