uninstalling software

Brenna

I have windows xp home edition, and I tried uninstalling windows media player, internet explorer and powerdvd and replacing it with my own non-bloated versions. now, somehow they're back on my computer, but this time I can't uninstall them. I don't know if I should clean everything off with the disc and put everything back or what.

would deeply appreciate some help.

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
In the Control Panel, click on add/remove programs and check the show updates box. Uninstall everything associated with the programs you're looking to remove. If you've already done that, then I'm not sure why they're reappearing, but I'll look into it.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Dont know why your having a problem uninstall PowerDVD. But your not going to uninstall IE, unless your just talking about going back from like 7 to 6. IE is part of explorer its not really going anywhere. As far as IE or media player, you can make anything your default browser and player.

subtle

Dont know why your having a problem uninstall PowerDVD. But your not going to uninstall IE, unless your just talking about going back from like 7 to 6. IE is part of explorer its not really going anywhere. As far as IE or media player, you can make anything your default browser and player.

You can remove both in Add/Remove Windows Components...

Maybe try to uninstall it in Safe Mode...?
If you manage to remove it in SM, you can also remove folders from Program Files. It might prevent it from reinstalling again. Maybe don't delete it at first but just move from Program Files in case you'll need it. You can always remove it later.

terii

You cannot remove IE or Media player from the add/remove Windows components. You merely remove the access to these two programs. They are both integrated into the OS and as such are very difficult to uninstall. The question I would ask is "why do you want to remove these programs given the difficulty in doing so?". You can install as many browser or media players as you like and just not use IE or Media Player.

subtle

No it doesnt. A installed windows component only gets it shortcuts removed. They are really still there. M/S was playing a game naming it remove windows components.

Yep, you right.
I played a little with removing the folders from PF.
Even with this folder removed IE reinstalled with no problems.
WMP failed to reinstall after removing the folder though...