unknown source of usb freezes

sburatorul

i apologize if i posted in the wrong section but i really don't know the source of the problem and what i have been reading online points tot the mobo so here goes:

every now and than my usb ports just freeze... my wireless keyboard and mouse stop working and my wireless xbox 360 looses connectivity. i have tried different ports, including with memory sticks and other eq. but none of the ports is working. they all come around after a reboot but the problem keeps reappearing.

i have tried a clean instal of windows (i am using windows 7 ultimate x64), updating drivers for the usb, upgrading the bios of the motherboard, nosing around bios, but since i do not know much about it, i just left everything on AUTO. nothing seems to solve the problem. PS2 mouse and keyboard still work.

this has been going on for some time now but just recently i found the time to address the problem. the guys at the service told me there is nothing wrong with it and that they didn't experience any freezes but they are either lying or the source of the problem is my keyboard since they used their own.

specs:
ASUS p8h61 motherboard
intel i7 2600 3.4 ghz processor
nVidia GeForce GTX 560 Ti
4 gb RAM A-DATA
1 Tb hard disk Seagate
Logitech MK320 keyboard and mouse
xbox 360 controller

please help! any input will be much apreciated!!

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
Probably a long shot, but it might be some glitch/incompatibility with the power saving settings. Go to power settings and then check the advanced settings for the plan you're currently using. There should be an option for powering down idle USB devices - try disabling that altogether and see if it helps.

Jamebonds1

You have Power Supply tester? If so, test it.

There are two reason.

Your power supply might be bad. Volt become too low. To get USB work better, you need 12 volt and 5 volt. On Power supply tester. It should be reading on main cable by 12 volt, 5 volt, and 3.3 volt. The range of good PSU is .3+/- volt on 12 volt, 5 volt, and 3.3 volt. If it show 10 volt on 12 volt, 2.5 volt on 3.3 volt or 4 volt on 5 volt. You need new Power Supply.

USB on your motherboard have fuse and it might be blow up. Need new motherboard.

One question. Do you overclock?

sburatorul

You have Power Supply tester? If so, test it.

There are two reason.

Your power supply might be bad. Volt become too low. To get USB work better, you need 12 volt and 5 volt. On Power supply tester. It should be reading on main cable by 12 volt, 5 volt, and 3.3 volt. The range of good PSU is .3+/- volt on 12 volt, 5 volt, and 3.3 volt. If it show 10 volt on 12 volt, 2.5 volt on 3.3 volt or 4 volt on 5 volt. You need new Power Supply.

USB on your motherboard have fuse and it might be blow up. Need new motherboard.

One question. Do you overclock?

power saver in usb is disabled so that couldnt be the problem...
as for the faulty power supply, now that seems more and more logical... since there are other problems that i did not think are related... like freezing during gameplay of high demanding games like skyrim and a repetitive sound coming from the stereo during freezess...

hope i'll just have to change the power supply... its a 500W one... dunno if it is enough for all the junk inside.

and no, i do not overcloak... i am not that capable it-wise and i do not feel the need to, so i dont bother with it, at the moment.

thank both for your answers.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
What is the exact model of power supply you have? If its a cheap 500 watt unit, you need to replace it.

sburatorul

What is the exact model of power supply you have? If its a cheap 500 watt unit, you need to replace it.

this is what is written on the side of it... hope you can see the picture
2012-01-02%2016.57.59%20resize.jpg

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22626732/2012-01-02 16.57.59 resize.jpg - picture link

sburatorul

i just calculated the recommended wattage for my set-up on the motherboard's producer, ASUS, and the result is 550... so i guess i might have solved the issue... i am gonna get a more powerfull one, maybe a 750 just to be on the safe side, and i will let u know if it solved the issue.

sburatorul

That unit only puts out 408 watts on the 12 volt rails. I would suggest upgrading to something like this especially since you are running a 560TI.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207013

If you plan on upgrading your video card though, we would have to pick a different unit.

thanks, i'll keep that in mind... for now i am not planning any upgrade for the video... pretty pleased with it. i will keep you posted

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
i just calculated the recommended wattage for my set-up on the motherboard's producer, ASUS, and the result is 550... so i guess i might have solved the issue... i am gonna get a more powerfull one, maybe a 750 just to be on the safe side, and i will let u know if it solved the issue.

If you are not upgrading you video card there is no need to get a 750 watt power supply, the 550 watt I linked you to would be just fine.

Or even just go with the 650 watt xfx unit here for some headroom.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207014

Last edited:

sburatorul

If you are not upgrading you video card there is no need to get a 750 watt power supply, the 550 watt I linked you to would be just fine.

Or even just go with the 650 watt xfx unit here for some headroom.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207014

you are right but who knows... down the line i might change my mind depending on what games come out, to make my video useless... and i would hate to have to change it again.

i will think about it.

thank you all again! wish i had found this forum earlier... been asking ppl about this for 6 months now.

Jamebonds1

That unit only puts out 408 watts on the 12 volt rails. I would suggest upgrading to something like this especially since you are running a 560TI.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207013

If you plan on upgrading your video card though, we would have to pick a different unit.

This is good PSU. Also Coriair and Thermaltake is good. I have 500 Watt thermaltake and it is really good.

this is what is written on the side of it... hope you can see the picture
2012-01-02%2016.57.59%20resize.jpg

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22626732/2012-01-02 16.57.59 resize.jpg - picture link

Oh man. that is pretty bad. That is why USB is freeze. PSU didn't give enough AMP for your video card. GTX 560 need at least 24 AMP and your PSU have only 18 AMP. 12V1 is rail for CPU and 12V2 is rail for PCIExpress.

sburatorul

looks like the power set-up in my machine is a wondrous mess of things :))

my psu only has 1x6 pin connector and 2x molex, except from the sata and the main one for the mobo... so as you can imagine, to power the gtx 560 it needs two 6 pin... so instead of the second 6 pin, there is an adapter that conects to the two molexes... now this would be fine i guess if the 6pin adapter wasn't in fact a 5 pin :)) with two of the cables going to the same pin.

furthermore, between one of the molex and the pci cable adapter, there is another adapter to power the front fan but i dont know if that affects it to much.

so i think i am gonna get the XFX Core Edition PRO650W that johnb35 suggested, with the two 6 pin :D and all the other connectors, including for some extra fans... seems to me that my pc is running a bit hot.

now, Jamebonds1, you mentioned something about 24A on the 12v2 but i have been reading around and it seems that that estimation is for the entire rig in which the video card is installed. somebody correct me if i am wrong... if i understood correctly the only way to get 24a on a rail (on a budget PSU) is to go with a single rail psu... which will be covered with the XFX Core Edition PRO650W.

i now realize that this was the wrong place to post... and if a mod would be so kind as to move this to Power Sources, i would appreciate it.

Jamebonds1

It is alright. Everyone is misunderstand, right? If you're plan to get dual or triple rail, Be sure you read careful and check that PSU if it is over 30 Amp combine (this is recommend number AMP). If you're plan to get dual rail, be sure 12V2 is over 30 AMP (this is recommend number AMP)

I have triple rail Thermaltake PSU 12V1 18 AMP for CPU, and 12V2 18 AMP and 12V3 16 AMP are both for PCI express. That is 36 AMP combine.

sburatorul

So, I got the corsair gs 600... Single rail and should be enough for my needs. I liked the xfx but apperantly it is very hard to come by in my country and I am not in the mood for waiting.

This should have enough connectors for two systems like mine :)), which brings me to the next question... As it seems logical to me, I can power the gpu using both the 6pin at the same time right? No need to use a pci adaptor cable?

Jamebonds1

So, I got the corsair gs 600... Single rail and should be enough for my needs. I liked the xfx but apperantly it is very hard to come by in my country and I am not in the mood for waiting.

This should have enough connectors for two systems like mine :)), which brings me to the next question... As it seems logical to me, I can power the gpu using both the 6pin at the same time right? No need to use a pci adaptor cable?

Corsair is great. As well as Thermaltake. It is good for gaming single video card.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I can power the gpu using both the 6pin at the same time right? No need to use a pci adaptor cable?

Yes, thats what both of the connectors are for. Either for one good card with 2 sets of connectors or 2 cards with one set of power connectors.

Jamebonds1

some advice. It is never good idea to use pci adaptor cable. it is not very safe for your video card and power supply.

sburatorul

Just yesterday i changed the power source, installed the corsair gs 600... nice power source but it didnt solve the problem. still get freezes. temperature problems are excluded since this happenes even in idle or when browsing the net... i am at a loss here.

sburatorul

now i am back at suspecting the mobo... its a cheap Asus p8h61. is there any way i can test it for faults? i tried some diagnostics tools but i am a bit in the dark.

i had someone build my setup for me and now i pay the price for being to lazy to do it myself... i am thinking of getting a better motherboard but i still wanna know if i can keep this one for my bro's pc. thanks everybody for the help so far...