WIndows 10 Unlisted CPU Spikes

Blink

Specs here: https://support.hp.com/za-en/produc...otebook-pc-series/10862158/document/c05182192

So something is going on with my laptop that has confused me and all of my tech friends.

I'm going to try and keep this as short as possible here. I had a windows partition reinstall fail on me half way through. You know where it reinstalls windows from the partition with all the included factory laptop drivers. Some people call it a factory reset. This corrupted what was left of Windows on the SSD taking me to a "Please install an Operating System" bios screen on restart.

I was just reinstalling for a clean up.

So no big deal it can happen and I boot from a official Windows USB and load windows and install the drivers myself from the official HP website.

This works fine for about 3 days and then the laptop starts glitching out. Like an old XP machine doing way too much work. So i try all the obvious stuff like reinstalling the drivers but nothing works.

Here is the crazy thing... The CPU is at about 100% but all my apps together are only showing about 10% usage. So where is the other 90% CPU usage coming from? I couldn't work that out and have never seen it before.

After giving up I decided to just reinstall windows again as there is nothing really on the laptop at this point. So again I wipe the SSD clean and install windows saving nothing.

Once I get into the desktop with nothing on the PC. The CPU is now jumping from 30% to 90% with only about 6% running in background apps. Then I install all the drivers... same thing no difference.

At this point me and everyone I know has never seen a computer do this. I'm starting to worry its a broken hardware problem.

So the computer crashes a few times more then it finally kind of runs windows. Its been running for about half a day like this now but something is not right. With just a few Chrome tabs and one other app running its starts bugging out again. Normally this i5 can handle way more than that without a problem. Still nothing is listed to be taking up any real CPU.

I have even looked into CPU temperatures and nothing on this fresh windows install seems out of place.

Could this just be a hardware issue? I have never seen anything like this.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Have you tested the ram with memtest? How much ram and which I5 is it? Are you clicking on the cpu column so it sorts by cpu usage? What SSD is it?

Blink

Have you tested the ram with memtest? How much ram and which I5 is it? Are you clicking on the cpu column so it sorts by cpu usage? What SSD is it?

So the link at the top of my first post has my full specs.

Yes I was arranging by CPU usage in the Task Manager under the Details tab. None of the processes seem to be responsible for the spike and they don't add up to anything close to 90%.

I have ran diagnostics on the Ram, CPU and SSD. Everything looks normal apart from the massive CPU frequency spike.

Blink

Encase anyone is interested I know what the problem is now.

So the CPU frequency is all over the place. The SSD has failed on me. Then now today the fans have stopped working when they where completely fine last night.

The only explanation here is a broken Motherboard.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah my guess was the ssd. The specs didn't list what specific ssd so.assuming they use something cheap and not rated very well.

beers

Staff member
My roommates old laptop was a Turion that couldn't thermal throttle unless a specific driver was installed. My dude had to put his laptop in the fridge while reinstalling windows.

Seems like similar behavior to me