Unlocking!?

ThePCmaN

is it possible to unlock the locked CPUs!! or is that just somethin that u cant do.. and u have to deal with.. because if they are locked doesnt that mean u can only OC to a short bit!! if im wrong.. please fill me in on the Locked and Unlocked CPU Info!! thanks :D

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Depends on what type of locking is in place :) For instance, the i925 uses a chipset lock which is a tad harder to circumvent (and has yet to be completely circumvented).

ThePCmaN

well im talkin about AMD Athlons here.. but i was thinkin about the XP 3200+.. and how do u go about this.. unlocking them so u can OC it to a lil bit more!! im not tryin ta OC it to the extreme.. just like from 2.2GHz (stock speed) to like 2.6GHz or somethin like that!! but i just need a lil more informed about the Locked and Unlocked CPUs and how to get around locked ones and so forth!!

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Not sure thats doable anymore... they have some unlocking kits and stuff but they dont really work pas XP2800s

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Of course, the lock only affects the multiplier :) You can still chane the BUS/FSB :)