"unmountable_boot_volume" HELP!

Ros3n

i just bought a WD250 gb caviar se and it is a serial ata hdd. my current hdd is a seagate ide.. i cannot find the cd that came with my motherboard and when i try t load windows onto it, i get the blue screen of death "unmountable_boot_volume" ..... when i boot from the windows cd, it doesnt even get to the welcome screen, just straight to the error screen... i cant get into console to repair or anything... any help would be greatly appreciated.. thnx in advance

RayH

How much technical skill do you have? It can be difficult to fix. If you're not incredibly savvy with the repair console, I'd do the following:

1. Put your IDE drive back in and boot the OS back up.

2. Go to the MB manufacturer and get the appropriate SATA driver. You should be able to extract it to a floppy (the website should have directions on how to do this).

3. Disconnect the IDE drive and reconnect the SATA drive. Bootup on the Windows CD. When prompted at the beginning (as soon as the blue setup screen comes up) press F6 to load extra drivers.

4. When prompted, insert the floppy that you made in step 2 and follow the directions.

5. Install your new OS.

6. Once the new OS is installed, reconnect your IDE drive and start the system back up. Note that you may have to set your bios to boot off of SATA instead of IDE.

That should do it.

-Ray

Shady

<b>VIP Member</b>
Go to the BIOS and set the Sata port you got your HDD in to be bootable.
it's it the advanced features as far as I remember !