Unresponsive New Computer Build

nolard01

(This is my parents computer that I built using reddit's help)

note: they have an old computer, and now a newer one.

I built it like 3-4 months ago, and it has been going unresponsive. (You can still see the screen of what you're doing, but the screen is frozen, keyboard don't work, mouse don't work, etc. My mom said that sometimes holding down the power button doesn't work and you need to unplug the power cord to turn the pc off and turn it back on)

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/xqbRBb <-- new computer

things i've done:
- I ran diagnostics on the drives (ssd and HDD) and they're both fine.
- i put the GPU into the old PC to see if that was the issue. I played a game and there were no freezing issues. It's not a GPU issue. (i even ran a benchmark for at least 20 minutes and the computer was running fine. no issues.) I put an older GPU in from an older computer and after about 30 mins the computer crashed in somewhat similar way that the new GPU did. Instead of the screen still showing, the screens went black and i had to manually switch off the power to restart the computer.
- don't think it's a motherboard issue.
- installed every drive correctly
- can't be the psu. it definitely has enough power
- i tested 1 ram stick at a time and it still ended up crashing

i have literally no clue why this is happening! somebody please suggest something.

The computer froze up again a 20 minutes ago when I was playing league of legends and watching netflix at the same time. When the screen froze up I could still hear the netflix so the sound wasn't disrupted. It's as if the screen froze up for me, but everything is still running like it's supposed to be.

I've been trying to figure this out for a couple weeks now and I really need help! Thank you!

Edit: I bought a new case so that motherboard that I just got fits.

Agent Smith

Couple things that come to mind off the top of my head. Did you use the motherboard stand offs? Since you said you used Reddit, I'm thinking you don't have much computer building experience. The motherboard may in fact be a dud. It's a shame that MOBO doesn't have onboard LCD indicators to indicate if there is an issue. Power supply may be a dud or you didn't connect all of the required power connectors. I doubt it, but you did plug in the (I think) two PCI-e power connectors to the 1060 GPU?

Why did you give your parents a GTX 1060? To me, that seems overkill. Do they just Internet and print things? That's what my parents do and I bought them a Dell Optiplex and upgraded the HDD to SSD. It's more than sufficient.

Go to start and in the search box type in Event Viewer. Read what it says.

Windows 10?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
My guess would be improper use or not using the standoffs between motherboard and case. Also if you look at the pcpartpicker link it says incompatibilities between motherboard and case, probably not enough screw locations to support motherbaord.
Specs are kinda overkill for a parents computer.

Build the motherboard outside of the case on a piece of cardboard and see how it reacts. If it works fine, then you know its a grounding issue between motherboard and case.

nolard01

1. The current current build actually has a different mobo. The one currently INSIDE the computer is ASRock AB350M Pro4 AM4 AMD Promontory B350 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard. The one that you see in the pcpartpicker website is the new one I recently bought, but didn't fit in the therma case. I bought a new case that should be coming in a couple days.
2. My dad setup everything on the new motherboard and it did it the same thing. (computer went unresponsive, so it's not the mobo that's the issue)
3. My mom works on the computer 10 hours a day and needs something that can handle a lot of tasks at once, so I just went with a little stronger computer.
4. Only 1 PCI-E goes into the GPU (majority of the GPU's that I've seen)
5. I built them a computer before (the old one) and that one went by very smoothly, so I know how to install the parts, make the computer run, but I'm not very experienced in troubleshooting when stuff goes wrong.
6. As for the stand off's I'm not sure tbh. I don't think so. I just screwed the thing to the computer and thats it. The more i think about it, I think i actually did use them because I used the manual along side of installing the thing. I will have to check.
7. Yes windows 10 is installed.
8. Even though this PC generates around 300wats, I didn't think it would be an issue with the PUS but it does seems to be some china seasonic off-brand so idk? Maybe it could be the PSU.

setting it up on cardboard actually might be a good idea.

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Some cases have raised spots where the standoffs should go, if it's raised then you don't need a standoff. So building it outside of the case will determine a lot. The asrock motherboard will need 8 standoffs or raised spots on the case, the asus board will need 9. I've downloaded the manual for the thermaltake case and really can't tell how its designed.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Mine does the same thing, its an r9 380. When pc starts it will start to spin then stop and will only really run when temp is high. The first pic does seem like they are raised up. Are all of them like that? Can't tell anything by second pic.

nolard01

Mine does the same thing, its an r9 380. When pc starts it will start to spin then stop and will only really run when temp is high. The first pic does seem like they are raised up. Are all of them like that? Can't tell anything by second pic.

Ah okay so its normal. So best bet is to set it up on cardboard and run it? Do you think the CPU grease might have this effect? I used an old grease when I put it on but it was still soft and not thick.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
As long as nothing is touching cpu pins or socket. if its overheating the pc will just shut down totally. But it might not hurt to check cpu temps. Do the setup outside of the case on cardboard and let us know if there is a difference. Then if it the same, we can go from there.

nolard01

And there in lies your problem. You don't just "screw the thing" into the computer. You needed to use the standoffs. Why do you think they give them to you?
Okay so I checked and my older computer has a bunch of standoffs. Hmmmm maybe that is an actual issue. I didn't think stand offs really made a different.

nolard01

Okay well, the stand off's were on. The computer was on for about an 1-2 hours and it froze up again. So... not sure what to do now.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Have you taken the motherboard out of the case yet and tried using it? We can't help further until this is done, spinning wheels so to speak.

nolard01

Have you taken the motherboard out of the case yet and tried using it? We can't help further until this is done, spinning wheels so to speak.

Okay well. That was very interesting. I took everything out, put the components on cardboard. After the PC running for like 5 minutes I started to feel my head and my upper body vibrate because my elbows and my hands were on the desk. It was the god damn electricity running throughout the whole desk. I quickly shut the power off. Holy damn.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/405817303918313482/425792454957072384/pc.jpg
(NOTE: i ended up adding cardboard under the PSU after taking this.) There is no reason the whole desk should of been getting current. Maybe its this offbrand china PSU thats the issue?

Now I remember that i refused to buy the PSU that reddit recommended me, and went with amazons choice from amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EON40CS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Nothing wrong with that psu unit, evga is a good brand. Check the cables to make sure there is no bare wires anywhere. What are the red and green cables up top left?

nolard01

Nothing wrong with that psu unit, evga is a good brand. Check the cables to make sure there is no bare wires anywhere. What are the red and green cables up top left?

Sound. It's a new speaker. So do you have any idea of what it might be? I can't check if it's the ram because my old computer uses DD3 and the new one uses DD4. The only thing left is the CPU and the RAM that could use some checking.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You might have to spend some money at the local pc repair shop and have them diagnose it.

Anthony He

Maybe you didn't connect the cables correctly so it boom booms
BTW,your mum's gaming pc is cool
Or the hardwares conflict with each other

nolard01

Maybe you didn't connect the cables correctly so it boom booms
BTW,your mum's gaming pc is cool
Or the hardwares conflict with each other

I used PCpartpicker and it says all the parts are compatible. Also, I'm pretty positive I connected all the cables correctly. If I didn't it would most definitely give an error message right away or not even turn on.