unsupported wireless network device detected system halted

I have two HP Pavilion Dv6000 laptops. One is xp and works great, and the other is vista and has a bad lcd and doesn't sleep. The vista has bluetooth built into the wireless card, so I was just going to trade the two out, when I do the xp gives the message: unsupported wireless network device detected system halted remover device and restart. It shows this after the HP splash screen but before windows boot screen. I don't understand this and when I put the original card back it works fine. Is there a way around this or is there really some compatibility problem?

Geoff

VIP Member
It's probably referring to the driver. Uninstall any software related to the wireless card, then go to Start > Control Panel > Device Manager > And under wireless/network (I forget the exact wording in XP), you should see the wireless card. Right click and uninstall, then shut down the computer, swap the cards, and try again.

OxfordPCRepairs

aRe the two network cards your swapping the same make and model , Also i would imagine the only issue with the vista laptop sleeping is that hibernation mode is some what borked , i assume evrything works fine so just disable hibernation,and then see if she sleeps soundly

I found the problem, These older Hp laptops have a whitelist in the bios and if the card is not on that whitelist, it will not let the computer boot. i found a bios update for my laptop, I'll let you know if it works.

And I have long since given up on the vista. I am almost positive it is a physical defect, a ton of people are having this problem with this model laptop, and nividia and HP are ignoring it and blaming each other. I have tried messing with the hibernate settings and stuff, but since the lcd went out there isn't much of a need to put it to sleep when it has to stay plugged into the tv all the time. (and the price of a new lcd is just worth buying a new computer).

and thanks for the quick responses!!!!!

ok, the update didn't change anything, it still did the same thing. I did try the xp wifi adapter in the vista and it did work without me even having to find drivers.

Come to find out, even though HP makes you think the bluetooth is built into the wifi card, like most, its not, I'm not sure where it is, but i'm assuming its built into the motherboard. So I'm not concerned with this wifi adapter anymore...

SoMeAm

Verified HP Representative
Hello kmkrreeves1,

Sorry to hear about your DV6000 issues. The DV6000 was introduced in 2006 and reached its HP end of life cycle in 2010--meaning it is no longer supported by HP. You write, "... I am almost positive it is a physical defect, a ton of people are having this problem with this model laptop, and Nividia and HP are ignoring it and blaming each other." Without having the exact model number and serial number I can verify whether your DV6000 was one of the notebooks for which HP did offer a solution before the issue was owned by Nvidia (see www.nvidiasettlement.com). However, the options offered by Nvidia under its settlement expired in March 2011. If you provide the PN and SN via [email protected] I will be happy to investigate to see if your DV6000 was one for which HP issued an alert.