Upcoming Upgrade

_Kyle_

I recently sold my GTX 1070 for ~$900 when the prices went uber high, and am going to upgrade soon. The question is, what should I upgrade and what to?

-Should I get a 10 series card like a 1080ti or wait for the 20/11 series?
-Should I get a new CPU?
-If I get a new CPU should it be Ryzen 7 or should I wait for Ryzen Refresh? If I get Ryzen refresh will I need a new mobo?
-Is anything else worth upgrading?

Note: I am willing to spend all of the $900 and a couple hundred extra but please don't max out my budget if you can.

Note: My PC specs are below in my signature...

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Darren

Staff member
Get a good GPU, although if you can hold out for next gen GPU I would. Ryzen refresh is soon but the 1600X is still quite strong and going to Ryzen 7 is pointless for gaming really. Mobo should work on refresh though.

_Kyle_

Get a good GPU, although if you can hold out for next gen GPU I would. Ryzen refresh is soon but the 1600X is still quite strong and going to Ryzen 7 is pointless for gaming really. Mobo should work on refresh though.
Thanks. I think I might hold out on the CPU for now and get a new 20 GPU when they come out.

_Kyle_

You crank up that 1600X?
Haven't tried it. My case is kinda small and my cooler isn't the best so I don't wanna overheat it. Now that I think about it I should probably grab a new case and cooler and try overclocking.

Darren

Staff member
Haven't tried it. My case is kinda small and my cooler isn't the best so I don't wanna overheat it. Now that I think about it I should probably grab a new case and cooler and try overclocking.
Ryzen chips are stupidly easy to overclock. You can pretty safely set almost any chip to 3.7 or so on stock voltage and work from there. Pretty sure mine was stable undervolted at 3.7, although I have a better clocking chip than most 1700's (sorry @beers)