Update issue

copiman

I just reset a laptop with Windows 8.1 due to a request from a friend. All seemed to go well with the reset. I am now attempting to do the updates. My issue is when trying to install the updates via windows update, I get "downloading updates (0 KB total, 0% complete). This happens regardless of the amount I try to install whether its a 1.1 Mb update or a large amount. I deleted Software distribution, stop and restarted windows update, ran update troubleshooter. Not sure where to go from here.

I was thinking about just doing a clean install since a reset comes from within. If I do a clean install, I assume I won't need the Product key since it is already on the mother board, right? Can I get Windows 8.1 from Microsoft without the key? What do you think I should do? Nothing on the laptop needs saving.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Ijust realized that I forgot to reply to this thread. I saw this thread at work that day and was gonna reply when I got home and forgot. I've noticed with windows 7 and windows 8 that sometimes it just sits there at 0 percent for quite some time but then just all of a sudden kicks in. At one point there was an issue with that and I don't remember what the fix was. Thinking it was downloading a specific update you had to download and install separately. Glad its working now though.