update: NVidia or ATI/AMD?

NVidia or ATI? or neither?

• Total voters

fade2green514

simple, both companies have changed their approach to the market, and their architectures have been updated for DX10.

what company have you chosen or what company do you think you will choose... or which one do you prefer if you've tried both?

i posted this because i previously voted nvidia, but now i chose ati and i'm much more satisfied than i was with my DX9 card!

gamerman4

Well nVidia pretty much owned the DX10 market there for a while but the 3xxx and newer 4xxx series looks to be good competition, I just wonder what will happen in 2009 now that they both are back in the groove.

ScOuT

VIP Member
I have been loyal to Nvidia for years and will never change. I am glad to see ATI back in the market with some really good cards but they just don't compare to a great Nvidia product. It is nice that there will be some market competition so the average buyer will have price wars on their side.

alexyu: "ATI has the best video card in the world atm. I'm voting for ati."

Are you crazy? The GTX 280 crushes the 4870 in EVERYTHING! It takes two 4870s in Crossfire just to barley beat a GTX 280! Nvidia is still the champ hands down!:D

There is only one card with a dual GPU that is faster....The 4870x2 :)

Last edited:

Calibretto

VIP Member

Are you crazy? The GTX 280 crushes the 4870 in EVERYTHING! It takes two 4870s in Crossfire just to barley beat a GTX 280! Nvidia is still the champ hands down!:D

ATI calls that a HD4870 X2 :D

Last edited:

lovely?

it does not matter if the card is dual gpu or not. the best single pci-e slot using card wins. and since there is no GTS 280x2 atm, ati has the faster single pcb card.

Computer_Freak

Just remember, the GTX280's price...

What the 4870 offers is much better, and at a better price. It gives great performance (do you really need more for +$200), it chews less power, and you can crossfire on an Intel motherboard (no need to pay $300 + for a good SLI mobo (790))

Right now, ATI has price to performance crown, and, no matter if the 4870X2 is dual GPU, its still single slot...

So i guess ATI owns all at this moment.

And just to let yo know, i am objective, i get (or support) what is best. nVidia had their run for a long time, but ATI has now taken over. The reason why i support what is best, is because i want what is best... Plus a little competition is good for the consumer...

look what ATI's 48xx series has done to nVidia. They are dropping prices left right and centre just to get some sales...

Last edited:

Ramodkk

VIP Member
I voted ATi for the simple fact that their prices are often more affordable than those of nVidia

Jerrick

Yeah, plus the hd4870 is only slightly behind the 280 by a few fps, and in some games the hd4870 does better than the 280. According to every review I ever read on them, and I read at least 20 before purchasing mine.

Like I said before, im not a fanboy, so I buy whatever is the best at the time, and right now its ati. Maybe next year nvidia will have a super product out, and if its better than ati, ill change to it. No reason missing out performance because you want to be faithful to a card...

fade2green514

I have been loyal to Nvidia for years and will never change. I am glad to see ATI back in the market with some really good cards but they just don't compare to a great Nvidia product. It is nice that there will be some market competition so the average buyer will have price wars on their side.

the gtx 280 is also newer. keep in mind, the 4870 comes closer on higher settings, im sure whatever ATI releases next will crush the GTX 280... or else it wouldn't be newer than it lol

wow! more votes for ATI so far, quite a change from the previous thread!

alexyu

lol when I said the best video card in the world I meant the 4870x2.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
i like both ATI & Nvidia,but in my next build i may go with ATI just for a change :)

they both make great products ;)

Computer_Freak

I cant beleive people are fanboys.

Do yourselves a favour and get what is proven to be the best (with price considered. The 4870 vs GTX280 debate, one is slightly better, but costs $150+ more)

Your losing out if you a fanboy.

For example, i would have gotten a 8800GTS but i decided to wait, cause ATI had cr@p cards then (38xx series)...

And to all those ppl that said i dont know why I chose this or that, please, provide a valid answer.