Updated bios of motherboard?

mcc1961

How do you go about getting the latest bios for a new Asus motherboard?Do you install from the disc before loading the OS?

beers

Staff member
Usually they'll have an executable you can download and just run within Windows that will update the board. You'd have to download it from the Asus site for your particular motherboard.

mistersprinkles

I don't suggest updating BIOS from within windows. Windows running adds another layer of crash possibility, and a bricked bios= a bricked board, although with ASUS, usually the bios chip is socketed and can be replaced.

I suggest:

Go to Asus Support website, type in MOBO name, find latest bios, download it to a FAT32 formatted USB stick with nothing else on it, plug that stick into a USB 2.0 port, reset the machine and enter bios (usually by spamming DELETE on ASUS boards) and find the Bios Flash option in bios. The PC may need to restart itself a couple of times after you flash. Whatever you do, don't turn it off or screw with it until it gets back into Windows. A botched bios flash is a terrible thing to do to a board.

Laquer Head

How do you go about getting the latest bios for a new Asus motherboard?Do you install from the disc before loading the OS?

I'd visit the Asus product page specific to your board, look under the support tab, and then there is probably a pull down menu to select O/S, or it may just have BIOS, look in there - the latest version will be available and you can download the file, copy to a blank USB drive, and then reboot and flash via the BIOS on bootup!

Which board do you have, I can link you if you need assistance.

mistersprinkles

Download the bios to a blank FAT32 formatted USB stick, restart your machine, spam DELETE to get into bios. Find the bios flash option, point it to your USB stick, and let the bios update function run. DO NOT turn off or otherwise touch your PC while it is updating as you can brick your machine this way. Once it is finished, you will have the latest bios.
Please note that if you have made changes to your bios of any kind, they will be erased and everything will return to default in the new bios. If you had any tweaks to CPU or RAM etc, you will need to do them again.

You should never update your bios from inside Windows. Windows is an additional possible layer of failure during the bios flash, which is a very critical operation, as a crash or power loss during bios flash will result in a bricked bios which means a bricked motherboard. On many ASUS boards the bios chip is socketed meaning a replacement can be ordered from ASUS to de-brick the board but that's just not a situation you want yourself in, in the first place. :)

Merry Christmas, or if you don't do Christmas, happy holidays.

Darren

Staff member
Honestly the Windows utlilities for BIOS flashing are fine. I think you're more likely to brick your BIOS by trying to use a flash as their arguably more complicated and if you're not sure what you're doing you're more likely to mess it up than the odd chance Windows gives you an issue during the procedure. I've never had a single issue with them and have used them on a variety of laptops and desktops. I think the fear of bricking boards is much less needed than it was a decade or so ago but others will probably say otherwise.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I think the fear of bricking boards is much less needed than it was a decade or so ago but others will probably say otherwise.

Updating the bios nowadays is so easy, not like it was years ago. I've never had a problem updating bios inside windows. Pretty much everyone has a windows utility now to update the bios.

Darren

Staff member
Updating the bios nowadays is so easy, not like it was years ago. I've never had a problem updating bios inside windows. Pretty much everyone has a windows utility now to update the bios.
Don't most boards have Dual BIOS these days to prevent this exact issue? I've only ever seen fairly old motherboards get bricked with a corrupt BIOS.

Okedokey

Yeah the USB bios update is good for when you have a new CPU installed that requires a bios that is different to your current one. The windows utility works fine as it doesn't actually do the flash from windows, it simply sets it up and completes it on restart.

Geoff

VIP Member
I still prefer to do it not within Windows, you never know when Windows will hang or crash on you, especially if it's an incompatibility for instance with the latest Windows 10 build and the BIOS update utility. Copying the BIOS image to a flash drive, rebooting, and pressing the F-key to upgrade is extremely easy anyways.