updates on computer question

Robin

When we turned off the computer yesterday, the screen said that there were 12 updates to be installed. So it proceeded to do this, and when it got to 10 completed, then nothing changed. It stayed on 10 for a long time (seemed like it was frozen on 10). So we unplugged the computer (having to leave, couldn't stay). Then we tried to turn it on again - and computer said that it hadn't been shut down properly. So now we don't know what to do? Any ideas about what next to do? (when this has happened to my own computer - same thing - gets frozen on an update installation - then I would unplug it and remove the battery to get it started all over again - and that always worked on my computer).

beers

Staff member
You could just leave it on to complete the updates, you don't HAVE to be present in order for the computer to function. If it hangs for multiple hours then usually yoinking the power is the only option you have left.

Is there an actual problem you're encountering aside from the 'start windows normally' prompt?

Robin

In order to 'start windows normally' - is it just a matter of pressing the usual button? (am not near the computer right now). I was wondering if it would just repeat the installation of the 12 updates (because this was disrupted when we unplugged the computer)?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Yes you would choose to start windows normally. Some Windows updates do take some time to install, especially net framework software. And as said you don't need to be present for the updates to install.

Robin

ok - thanks - but what generally does one do when it seems to be stuck/frozen on one of the installations? (how long do you wait?)

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I've seen net framework updates take a decent amount of time. Just let it go and see what happens. If after an hour it still hasn't moved then something is up. But usually if it has an issue with an update it will say update failed and will reverse everything back to the way it was.