Updating BIOS

durkmusic

I have an ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3

I want to update the BIOS to have optimal up to date running capabilities. I hear a lot of different ways to do it, some warn against some methods. I don't know how to do it. Could someone please lead me in the right direction?

Thanks.

*Needs to be able to run a PCI 2.1 x16 card

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
What bios revision is installed? It all depends on what the bios revisions after yours supposedly does.

durkmusic

Well I had like 16xx and I installed 1702 or something. It works fine. Boots faster. Overclocks muuuuuuuuuuch better. But for some reason I can't get a temperature reading for the life of me. I can see in it the bios, but here on windows 7 no matter what program I use it always says 0

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
1702 is the latest for that board. That board may have a bad sensor possibly. Asus pc probe should be able to read the temps.

durkmusic

Well see the temperatures read fine in the bios when I click the system info or whatever. It shows all the temperatures fine. But I just can't see them in an OS where I need to see them.

jamesd1981

most motherboard makers have their own software for flashing the bios, some people say dont do it within windows but i have always done it from within windows and never had a problem

tremmor

its been quite a few years since i flashed. Never from windows. If i did or the manufacture recommended it i would think it require to turn everything off in windows. As said though, I would go by the manufacture recommendations and follow directions carefully. And likely have there own software. At least i always did. Its a good way to wreck a motherboard if something goes wrong. Then i always read what the bios update will do. If i don't need it or won't improve performance, or fix my problem then i won't take it. I would not take it because its there and something to do. I would and should take a look though. risky business.